Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing F6B 45th Ed
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 F6B
I was trying to remove the left side storage box and pulled the plastic rivet and looks like it broke...
Where do I find the part numbers so I can order another one?

Did I pressed and pulled it too hard??? or what is the best technique...so I don't break other 3 ... :mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this somewhere...

Next I just needed to release the push pins in each corner of the storage compartment. In the photo above I am pointing to one of these fasteners. There are only four holding the storage compartment in place (one at each corner). To unlock the pins I took a paper clip and pressed down on to the center of the pin. It clicked inward about a 1/4". This unlocked the pin. I did the same with the remaining three pins and I was able to easily lift out the storage box with it's attached lid. You have to be careful with doing this so as to not pop the pins out and loose any of them. They were needed to get the storage box locked back into the bike when it came time for reassembly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Honda engineers for some reason or another decided they should use two styles of plastic "reusable" rivets on the GL1800. Some, like the glove box, have flush center pins that need to be pushed in first and then grab the flange and pull the whole rivet out. Others, like the front panel behind the front wheel, have a knob that must be pulled out away from the flange before the entire rivet can be removed. To reassemble, for both, make sure the locking pin is out so you can push it flush to the flange with your thumb once it's in place.

These body engineers must have apprenticed under the electrical engineers. Those geniuses decided to use one of every part number from the Hitachi connector catalog with every imaginable way to release the two halves.

Anyway, order up a bag of each type from Goldwing accessory dealers or a Honda dealer. The good news is you can reassemble the bike with only three rivets and get back to it later.

As far as best way, I keep an ordinary retractable pen in the left glove box anyway so I use that to push in the release pin on those rivets. Helps prevent me from pushing too hard as well.

Reactions: Limpy45 and NREMTP

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honda engineers for some reason or another decided they should use two styles of plastic "reusable" rivets on the GL1800. Some, like the glove box, have flush center pins that need to be pushed in first and then grab the flange and pull the whole rivet out. Others, like the front panel behind the front wheel, have a knob that must be pulled out away from the flange before the entire rivet can be removed. To reassemble, for both, make sure the locking pin is out so you can push it flush to the flange with your thumb once it's in place.

These body engineers must have apprenticed under the electrical engineers. Those geniuses decided to use one of every part number from the Hitachi connector catalog with every imaginable way to release the two halves.

Anyway, order up a bag of each type from Goldwing accessory dealers or a Honda dealer. The good news is you can reassemble the bike with only three rivets and get back to it later.

As far as best way, I keep an ordinary retractable pen in the left glove box anyway so I use that to push in the release pin on those rivets. Helps prevent me from pushing too hard as well.
Thanks Andy for detailed response.. it gives me some peace of mind... now I can go crazy and keep pulling things... and keep myself busy in winter.....

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I buy these plastic push rivets in bulk at Amazon they are cheaper and always have spares.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
They used more than two types of plastic push pins. My suggestion is buy a quanity of them . They break easy and the center pin will fallout never to be fond again.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Had an 2008 for 11 years. Never broke one . Maybe I'm special . Maybe I know how they work ? I don't know ????

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Had an 2008 for 11 years. Never broke one . Maybe I'm special . Maybe I know how they work ? I don't know ????
That is because younever did the work on the bike . You got people like me to do it for you.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I always push the pin in and remove them with a small screwdriver before removing the pocket. Less chance of losing one. They only need to be pushed about 1/8 inch. You'll hear click when they disengage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered a package of each of the two types from Big Bike Parts (Show Chrome) $$5.95 for 10, and they sell three different sizes. B

·
Registered
389 Posts
Owners manuals and Service manuals are worth their weight in gold. They would have shown you how to release those push pins to get them out. Once you get them out you need to push the center back up until it sticks out about 1/8". So when you put them back in and seat the pin collar in the hole then you push the center back down flush with the collar. I have lots of extras because I've been known to lose them on the garage floor when I take the box out. They seem to fly away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts