Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What changes would you make as a designer in charge of the Goldwing line ? Colors, options, standard features, etc! Lets hear it guys!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I read this and just sat here and thought. The only thing I can think of is the Brake pedal. I had mine made for me. I comes out in front of my running boards. Oh yeah, I had the trunk moved back by 27/8 inches, to make more room for me and my wife. That is about it. I have found the Wing to be to total package. And I ride a 1500. Can't speak for the 1800, I felt the 1500 was as close to perfection as I was going to find. Still feel that way.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
A more comfortable seat.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Are you ready for a lengthy list of "I wants"? Most anybody that's been here since I came along that my pet peve is the non powered windshield adjuster... I mean come on Honda, it's been on the ST since Adam was a pup! Now a couple of my 'inside' sources say that's actually a priority so I'll give that some rest.
Next I'll say that there will be a serious attempt at a weight loss program, say in the neighbourhood of 50 lbs. After that I'll suggest a performance gain to boost the output up to somewhere in the 150 hp range. Twin cams, variable valving, different/improved induction (ram air?) or some combination of those things. Drive by wire?? Transmission upgrade: dual clutch, 6 speed maybe. New front forks with variable and adjustable dampening; good bye to that goofy archaic set of internals that (ahem) have worked for almost 3 decades but is waaaay long in the tooth. A bit more cornering clearance, doesn't have to be much if they succeed in loosing thos pounds above. Still more improvement in the seat and legroom department.
Now the hard part: Keep it a Goldwing!!! Long haul durability that we're so used to, low maintenance, keep the sillouette and overall package (luggage room and luxury) as close to what we have now as possible, and most of all, don't make us puke when we see the sticker price!
Disclaimer: other than what I mentioned about the windshield, none of this comes from Honda House rumour mill, it's from my heart and wish list only.

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
For safety I would like to see ABS standard..

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Change the way the back end of the bike looks, maybe it's just me and I will get used to the way it looks but I personally prefer the look of the 2010 better;)

JMHO and no offense to anyone who has a 2012:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not alot of offense taken BEVMAN;) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
On the list of things to change....be patient the list is coming,

Here we go again, let er rip guys!:p

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I need to add to the wish list 6th gear and better stock windshield, maybe electrically raised and lowered too. Oh and 2000cc's would be nice. Bring back the CB as a part of one of the levels.

6th gear at the very top of the wish list.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Remember you are the designer in charge of this project, no one else is in control! What about colors, placement of controls, materials used, lighting, accessability, comfort and systems and storage space?

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Yellow and everything is one color not 3.
I would combine the best of the 1500 and the 1800.
Same 1800 engine with hydraulic tappets.
The styling of the 1500.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've always thought there should be a 6th gear and more leg room. But I agree with hydraulics instead of shims. Remove or remodel all that inner faring and it would loose 100 pounds.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Would it not increase the weight and price if Honda was to add a motor for the adjustable windshield?

I would like to see an 1800 style bike without the tupperware to look more like a retro 1970's bike but with the saddle bags and optional with or without trunk.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
My first item, like most, would be the 6th gear. Or, at least raise the ratio on all the gears. How often do we really need 1st gear to be that low. No, wait. Lets get that damn odometer to read honestly. And take the built-in lag out of the cruise control. And yes on the electrical windshield adjusment. Why does a trunk light have to be an aftermarket purchase? How much can it cost to make that standard? None of those are additions as much as they are corrections.

Now the additions. Look at the aftermarket stuff most of us buy early on if not at time of purchase. Windshield options? Give us credit for the stock windshield at time of purchase if we opt for an F4 or Wind Bender or Slip Stream. And the same on the seat.

Leg room? Are you asking for foot controls set farther forward? Yes, please. But that might mean some of the trike conversions have to be redesigned to allow room for the running boards.

And something else mentioned in this thread. I know several of you have bought the 2012 model and you love it. Mechanically, they are wonderful. But personally, I don't care for the looks. The side and rear views look like Honda hired a refugee designer from BMW. No offense intended. JMHO

·
Registered
36 Posts
My only complaint and would hope mother honda would address this: Engineer a change that would allow the tires to get more mileage.....a long distance touring beast that can't keep it's tires for more than 10K-12K is just wrong....

I of course have a fanciful wish list but I could barely afford this model. The wish list upgrade cost added to the price will put the re-designed bike way out of reach for little old me. I would also be driving a Porche that has all of my fanciful options but....can't afford to even look at one in the parking lot...:eek:.....lol

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Yellow and everything is one color not 3.
I would combine the best of the 1500 and the 1800.
Same 1800 engine with hydraulic tappets.
The styling of the 1500.
Like the Lady said, except the yellow thing.
Put the re-engineered engine in a 1500 like look. Add a 6th gear, and get rid of some of the wizz bang electronic ( your trunks not latched) come on, how many time times have you seen a trunk blown open on a 1500.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Love the look of the combo trike lady. Would make a good avatar too.
When I saw the picture I thought this gives the best of both GLs.
The engine and front fairing of the 1800 and the rest is more 1500.

From the drawing it looks like both driver and passenger aren't cramped.
That's what the 2014 should look like.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.