Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how to do a poll on the site, but... what cb channel do you guys use when ridding?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
for me it depends on who i'm riding with. if i'm with my buddy don we are on channel 13, another friend likes channel 1. too bad these cb's don't have sideband

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Our GWRRA chapter uses channel 1. I think that is pretty universal.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
When I had my 98 1500 with a cb we used either 1 or 5 depending on the amount of traffic on the band.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Most Gold Wing riders use Ch 1, When I ride with friends we use 25, not a lot of other people on it.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
It's been a few years since I 'bucket mouthed', but if memory serves, the GWRRA did stick pretty much with ch 1. When I travelled with friends outside of the GWRRA we monitored 19 for traffic and then used 23 for our own purposes unless it was full of chatter, then we just picked a 'clean' channel and went from there. Detdr is right, sideband would be nice, more options, more punch and no carrier wave. Regular AM CB doesn't require licensing in Canada anymore that I know of (I still have my old reg # stuck in my cranial hard drive, what's with that anyway?) but I don't know about the rules for SSB anymore, It had more to do with the output wattage than anything I think. I still could rely on my aviation radio station license I guess ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i use to be a member of a sideband club my number was 26wiskey 7673. someone in the club once sais am stood for antenna match

·
Registered
117 Posts
With my little group we run on 15 almost zero traffic here.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hehe detdrbuzzard, we had "eskimo" numbers for SSB radio, just don't ask me to remember that one...3134 something or other. Beats me to know how I remember my General Radio license. Kinda fitting for the eskimo club # if you look out the window about now. Our local radio club was WH, phonetically it was 'whiskey hotel', but it actually stood for 'whispering hills' identifying our surrounding area's description. Went by the handle "galloping alligator" on the CB waves. It was a nick-name of a cantankerous school teacher we had as youngsters; we figured it was 'nicer' than "battle-axe":D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
in the wiskey club you used your wiskey number and first name no handles allowed in the club. there were wiskey clubs in every state, michigan was 26 wiskey and if my memory is correct there were wiskey clubs in parts of canada. my wiskey book is somewhere in my house. drbuzzard started as my cb handle the " det '" was added because of a guy i met from chicago years ago

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Similar up here then, just eskimo and the numbers. No names unless it was conversational. CQ,CQ, CQDX, this is Eskimo 313... kinda miss it. Got out on some real long range contacts when the skip was rolling hard: Australia, Europe all over the US. Spent a binking fortune on QSL cards and postage back when.

·
Registered
455 Posts
No particular channel. Depends on who I am riding with at any given time. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts