Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is a 2005. It has the LCD dash, CB and radio. But it does not have NAVI. Can that be added as an upgrade?

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
The impression that I get from this forum and several of the guys in the chapter is that the Honda GPS is a waist of money. I have a 200.00 Garmin and I think I spent about 50.00 on the RamTech mount. Does everything I need, including moving to any other vehicle when needed.

Talk to some current users about the value of the upgrade. I'll be interested in learning your final choice.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never felt a need for navigation. I can read a map like nobody's business.

I am just curious. Because right now there are 4 wings on the honda website. The base model, the one with xm, one with navi, one with abs and one with an airbag.

Aside from the airbag, it seems like you could probably upgrade most stuff???

I am just wondering what the differences are.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I never felt a need for navigation. I can read a map like nobody's business.

I am just curious. Because right now there are 4 wings on the honda website. The base model, the one with xm, one with navi, one with abs and one with an airbag.

Aside from the airbag, it seems like you could probably upgrade most stuff???

I am just wondering what the differences are.
Not saying it couldn't be upgraded from a level 1 and add on the premium sound and ABS etc, but the cost would be VERY prohivitive. Up here we only have two choices: with or without airbag; all other options are there anyway. Personally it made my life easy, I wanted the airbag. Here's what convinced me over 4 years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/a...88a7a13e&ex=1340942400&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

·
Registered
739 Posts
If it leans left, TURN LEFT. If it leans right, TURN RIGHT. If it does not lean STAND ON IT!!. Who needs navi!! I75 is 120 miles east, I10 is 200 miles south, I 65 is 15 miles west, I 40 is 120 north. From there I can get home!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The biggest advantage of the builtin Navi is that it is not easily stolen. An addon GPS is better but you have the hassle of putting it on and off when you stop at a restaurant, etc. But functionality wise, a decent motorcycle GPS (like the Zumo series) is a much better use of finances.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The airbag would be cool, but I didn't have a choice. The bike was a gift from my wife.

I have ABS though and I didn't want that. I have never liked the action of ABS in any of my vehicles.

I think the best feature of electronics so far is the stereo system and intercom system. The CB is just going to be fun.

Thanks guys for your comments.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
The airbag would be cool, but I didn't have a choice. The bike was a gift from my wife.

I have ABS though and I didn't want that. I have never liked the action of ABS in any of my vehicles.

I think the best feature of electronics so far is the stereo system and intercom system. The CB is just going to be fun.

Thanks guys for your comments.
Ride safely and enjoy the Gold Wing. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have it and built in Navi its crap. Added a Zumo 660 that works perfect and I get MP3. Guess I just hate to stop and read a map, cuts into my riding time:HappyRoll:

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
You may want to change the speakers out if they're really old and sound like an old transistor radio. On my 1500 I had a brand new set of J&M speakers installed in the dash and they were an improvement.

·
Registered
50 Posts
^^^^ Those are good mounts on the clutch reservoir cover.

Yes, the Zumo is much better than the Honda GPS (and a heck of a lot less cost). I have had them both. The big advantage of the Honda Navi is that you don't have to worry about it being stolen while you stop for lunch.

I certainly would not be unhappy to have the Navi if it were not for the cost. We are currently considering a replacement trike for the wrecked one and the one used one we are considering is a Level 3. That would be nice although I would probably hook up the Zumo for serious trips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.