Honda Goldwing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
My MadStad arrived today and it's now on my wing! Tomorrow I will adjust it for the sweet spot, and then we will see if it meets the criteria for "favourite accessory for the Goldwing"!
Maui - can't wait to hear how you "dial-in" your Madstad. I'll be interested in the particulars, since mine should be here this week.

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.
Ps 68:33

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi all, the MadStad installation was very smooth and didn’t require any colourful language to help parts fit! The biggest thing I encountered was that the lower windscreen that comes with the MadStad has to flex a little more to make the edge bolts fit to hold it onto the bike. Took maybe an hour to install. Be very careful removing the old windshield so you don’t lose the nuts near the mirrors that hold the front cowl in place. If they fall into the internal abyss of the bike, you will never see them again!! That’s really the only tricky part.
The weather is beautiful here today so I will be out riding to dial in the MadStad! I’ll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
After you peel back the mirror boots, shove a rag down below them in the fairing. When you drop them, you won't lose them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here's a good YouTube that I followed in order to remove the old windshield:

I went for a ride today with the new MadStad and kinda sorta got it where I want it to get the best air flow over my head, but I still need to play with it some more. I rode on the freeway for about an hour, pulling off at exits 7 times and making adjustments, however I wasn't very methodical about it. I'm an engineer and should be better at making and following a logical sequence to test the effects at different heights and angles! Tomrrow is also supposed to be a good weather day, so I'll try again then.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Start all the way down and all the way back, then raise it a little at a time until you find the best position up and down. Once you have that, move it forward, one notch at a time, and you should hit the best spot with little effort. Once you find that spot, you can play with the up and down, back and forth a little until she's just right. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Start all the way down and all the way back, then raise it a little at a time until you find the best position up and down. Once you have that, move it forward, one notch at a time, and you should hit the best spot with little effort. Once you find that spot, you can play with the up and down, back and forth a little until she's just right. Good luck and ride safe.
Thanks for the tip @Mountain Rider ! I’ll give it a try today.
Neil

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm debating about adding floorboards. I hear mixed opinions. How do you like yours? Do they add comfort?
I only decided to try them when I found a killer deal on a pair of Kuryakin with the heel-toe shifter and matching brake pedal. I didn't think that I'd like them that much more or less than the pegs but it turned out that, for me, they were much better for the long hauls. I put them on about 3-4 weeks before a long trip, liked them enough to keep them on and upon returning home, 8650 miles later, they're on for good. On those 600-800 mile days when I'm trying to get through more "familiar territory", they, for me, are just more comfortable. Having a solid platform under my entire boot is just more comfortable for me. Sometimes slight positional changes can yield big returns and the floorboards allow for that, more so than foot pegs, at least for me. I didn't think I'd like the heel-toe shifter that much either, but I do. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I only decided to try them when I found a killer deal on a pair of Kuryakin with the heel-toe shifter and matching brake pedal. I didn't think that I'd like them that much more or less than the pegs but it turned out that, for me, they were much better for the long hauls. I put them on about 3-4 weeks before a long trip, liked them enough to keep them on and upon returning home, 8650 miles later, they're on for good. On those 600-800 mile days when I'm trying to get through more "familiar territory", they, for me, are just more comfortable. Having a solid platform under my entire boot is just more comfortable for me. Sometimes slight positional changes can yield big returns and the floorboards allow for that, more so than foot pegs, at least for me. I didn't think I'd like the heel-toe shifter that much either, but I do. Your mileage may vary.
Which ones did you put on?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maui - just curious to know how tall you are and what size windshield you got I'm almost 6'2" and I got the 16 in

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maui - just curious to know how tall you are and what size windshield you got I'm almost 6'2" and I got the 16 in

I'm just under 5'9" and got the 12". I was worried that I maybe should have gotten the 14" because of the trouble I had on the first day getting the MadStad adjusted, but on day 2, I raised the lower black mounting plate a notch up to the 4th notch and it seems to work better there. I could even go higher if I need to. By having the mounting plate higher, it creates a nice space between the top of the dashboard and the underside of the mounting plate so I can mount my GPS there and have it protected from the wind.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
That’s true. The SM10 connects via Bluetooth to the Sena headsets. The sena headset can also connect to your phone so you have the bike and your phone. I love mine.
I ordered the 10s, priced at $215. Then my friend pointed out that the 20s is selling for $199 on Amazon. Should I return the 10s and order the 20s? Seems like the 20s had some issues over the 10s. But the 20s has more features for less money.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts