Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did some electrical repair work on my Gold Wing, a 1985 1200 Aspencade. The bike ran FANTASTICALLY for about 500 miles. Now I am back to my regular challenge.

It takes a long time to warm up. Coughs and burps if I try to drive off to early.

Some times it runs perfectly for many miles then all of a sudden she seems to loose power and it may backfire. If it does backfire the one consistant is prior to backfiring the loss of power combined with a feeling of not running on all cyclinders (engine sounds are off and I can feel a definate sputtering taking place)

If I park the bike in this condition and then drive it a day or two later she normally seems to run well agan for several miles.

I have tried adjusting the choke when she is running bad and that has no effect positive or negative.

I am thinking possibly a fuel pump???

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Dave H...
aka Professor

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi Prof,

When things are intermittent, I suspect electrical stuff first and our fuel pumps are electrical devises. First thing I'd do is check that circuit (starting with connection just in front of the gas filler cap) back to the fuse; contact cleaner and good "clicking" connections. Kindly let us know what happens next. I'm assuming here that you have a good fuel filter, yes?

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Other things that can cause rough running are poor sycronization of the carbs, fuel tank breather tube pluged/kinked, in fact all hoses in the fuel system need to be checked, 27 years adds up. Another thing to check is the drain holes in the spark plug wells; does the bike do it after a rain or washing? They need to be kept clean, no debris or water in there build up or the bike will run rough.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tatanka: Thank you i will check that circuit again today. Yes I have replaced the fuel filter ??? three thousand miles ago.

Budoka: I had previously checked fuel tank breather tube (I had to figure out which one that was LOL) Although i have not personally replaced tham all of the fuel lines I can find appear to be relatively new and in good shape. Drain holes in the spark plug wells? Never knew they existed (Anyone starting to get the opinion that I am mechanically challenged?) I don't think I have been caught in little more than a light shower and i cannot say that it made a difference. But definately worth checking into.

Thanks folks. :)

Dave H...
aka Professor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts