Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What are the charecteristics of a Hard core biker.

6K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Tooth 
#1 ·
The other day a guy who rides his bike to work every day and does not own nor has he owned a car in thirty years referred to me as a hard core biker. I honestly never thought of myself as a hard core biker just someone who likes to ride.
I think this can be subjective but what charecteristics or qualities make up a hard core biker? I would like to hear from you all,
FYI I do not think criminials, thugs, miscreants on a motorcycle make them a hard core rider. That just makes them felons on bikes in my opinion.

#2 ·
Lee,

I ride everyday to work. In the past year I only took my cage 3 times. The guys at work call me a "hard core biker" too. Rain or shine, cold or hot! The only time I don't ride, is when the white stuff is on the road! I just LOVE to ride....call me what you wish, but please don't call me late for supper!

Mark

#3 ·
I think I have taken my car to work maybe 15 times this year , I ride in the winter also ,
Don't care how cold it is , I've even ridding in snow

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

#4 ·
I believe someone who just loves to ride. I put more miles on my bike in a year than my truck. I've put almost 31,000 miles on my bike and it will be two years of owning it in Jan. Does that make me a hard core biker? All I know is I love to ride and I hope the snow stays away so I can keep riding.

#5 ·
Hard Core Biker?? - A "Biker" I am Not. Bikers in my opinion have a negative connotation. I am a Hard Core "Rider" - That would be someone who enjoys riding so much that, when given a choice of Ride the Bike or drive the Car, they will choose the bike. "I Ride Therefore I am". Distance and Weather are never factors to a hard core rider.......

#7 ·
There are those who would say none of us are hard core just because of our machines. Heated seats,that takes you out. Wind shield,that takes you out. My responce to them is usually,come ride with me. I usually get some excuse or better yet I get, I dont own a bike.
The fact we love this "hobby" with the passion that we all show to makes us hard core.

#8 ·
i for one do not call motorcycling a hobby. for me it is an alternate form of transportation that i prefer over taking the tintop

#9 ·
At lunch I spoke to a fellow who has ridden 300 miles in a year. He advised me I am dedicated not hard core. I told him there was no wrong answer.
I said hobby cause I couldnt find any other word at the time. To me the fact it is really a way of life makes us hard core. The best part none of us give a rats BEhind what anyone thinks. 8 )

#10 · (Edited)
Ref I like your definition. The biker thing I understand the 1% who are nothing more than dirt bags and don't even ride much. I think True hard core bikers are guys or gals that truly enjoy riding and do it as much as they can.

#12 ·
Phil, I think you are a biker. The negative connotations asside, that's just other people's prejudice. You ride every chance you get, that makes you a biker and not just a rider. Although Tobo has it right on the Hard Core part.

I just enjoy the ride. I'm not really concerned what I get called, just as long as they call me for dinner.

#13 · (Edited)
+1 on Ref's definition. Maybe "motorcycling enthusiast" too. Anyway, we're all folks who get out in the world with an alternative and fun mode of transportation. I think of all riders, regardless of brand, gender, age, etc. as the type of people Teddy Roosevelt was describing in this famous quote:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

#15 ·
Well, I'm definetly not hard core. I've ridden in extreme temps, but I don't ride on wet pavement if I have a choice. I have been caught a few times when I needed to meet a schedule or keep a promise and felt I didn't have a choice. Last Friday I drove to work. One of my coworkers commented "Must be rain in the forcast." And there was.

But, seriously, call yourself what you want. Hard core, rider, biker, enthusiast, whatever. Think of riding as you want. As I've said before, for me it's therapy with lots of side benefits. Just keep riding and let me know if your passing thru Texas. I'll come ride with you for a while......uhb, if it's not raining.

#19 ·
Doubt I'd be fitting into the hard core definition anymore. I used to ride everywhere regardless of weather (aside from snow anyway) but I spend alot of time caging it the past 10 years or more. Just seem to have too much reason (excuse?:eek:) to use my truck so much of the time now. I do get pretty stupid on the length of the days in the saddle when I'm alone though if that carries any weight. Can't get away with it when the missus is on the back, it's better when she's smiling rather than frowning (or worse:eek:).

#20 ·
Well, riding, Wings and these common interests seem to be enough to get us to contribute to a thread. I wanted to see what you all thought about hard core riders and thank you for contributing...anyone interested in a possible 5500 mile run from Key West to Dead Horse Alaska..pm me...

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
A better class of rider might be a little overboard but I am in good company on here. Now that I am back I will read and post more. No more SWA trips until after Christmas. I want to ride and enjoy the comfort of my family.... And I want to Vote without using a absentee ballot.
EOD,

There are Goldwing sites that have the nasty stuff happening as well. Happily the GWOF isn't one of them.:cool: We have a great membership here that works hard to keep the nonsense out.

Glad your back, read, comment, have a great time, hang out with your family & Let's Vote!

Reactions: Cantankerous
#21 ·
IBALEE,

Quit being such a candy-:eek:ss! Ushuaia, Argentina (Tierra del Fuego) to the Arctic Circle or no deal! Can't be more than 12,000 miles. Heck that's only a 6-7 day ride for you!:eek::p:D

#25 ·
To be honest and this is my opinion , a biker is one of those dudes that's causes problems hangs in bars and is a total tool , I'm a Goldwing lover I ride every chance I get and don't care what you call me

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

#27 ·
12 bikes since 1973. 5 years without one when I had a terrible marriage and little kids, (78-83) but easily 350,000 miles. 125K miles just with the last 3 bikes in 9 years. The wing is by far the best, and can't wait to retire so I can really ride as much as I want. I have been called "Hard Core" about several things.... Biker is one of them, but I have only owned one V-twin. I like 4-6 cylinders! and a windshield!

#28 ·
I think what a Hard Core Biker is depends on what you personal definition is. Some may think you must be a 1%er to be a Hard Core Biker.

Taken from a website on what a Hard Core Biker is.

"99% of motorcycle enthusiasts are law abiding citizens, the remaining 1% that consider their selves to be hardcore bikers; the one percent of society that doesn’t fit in and doesn’t want to fit in. They are untrusting of the ‘citizen’ lifestyle because everyone is only out for themselves but the biker covenant guarantees that their brothers will always be there for him, to back him up in whatever threatens him or his family. No club that isn’t hardcore enough is allowed to wear a 1% patch usually warn on a diamond shaped patch."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.