Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day a guy who rides his bike to work every day and does not own nor has he owned a car in thirty years referred to me as a hard core biker. I honestly never thought of myself as a hard core biker just someone who likes to ride.
I think this can be subjective but what charecteristics or qualities make up a hard core biker? I would like to hear from you all,
FYI I do not think criminials, thugs, miscreants on a motorcycle make them a hard core rider. That just makes them felons on bikes in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Lee,

I ride everyday to work. In the past year I only took my cage 3 times. The guys at work call me a "hard core biker" too. Rain or shine, cold or hot! The only time I don't ride, is when the white stuff is on the road! I just LOVE to ride....call me what you wish, but please don't call me late for supper!

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I think I have taken my car to work maybe 15 times this year , I ride in the winter also ,
Don't care how cold it is , I've even ridding in snow

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
168 Posts
I believe someone who just loves to ride. I put more miles on my bike in a year than my truck. I've put almost 31,000 miles on my bike and it will be two years of owning it in Jan. Does that make me a hard core biker? All I know is I love to ride and I hope the snow stays away so I can keep riding.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Hard Core Biker?? - A "Biker" I am Not. Bikers in my opinion have a negative connotation. I am a Hard Core "Rider" - That would be someone who enjoys riding so much that, when given a choice of Ride the Bike or drive the Car, they will choose the bike. "I Ride Therefore I am". Distance and Weather are never factors to a hard core rider.......

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
When you shop on Wingstuff for Christmas presents for the Mrs. When you tell her those earring aren't plastic, they are chrome Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
There are those who would say none of us are hard core just because of our machines. Heated seats,that takes you out. Wind shield,that takes you out. My responce to them is usually,come ride with me. I usually get some excuse or better yet I get, I dont own a bike.
The fact we love this "hobby" with the passion that we all show to makes us hard core.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i for one do not call motorcycling a hobby. for me it is an alternate form of transportation that i prefer over taking the tintop

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
At lunch I spoke to a fellow who has ridden 300 miles in a year. He advised me I am dedicated not hard core. I told him there was no wrong answer.
I said hobby cause I couldnt find any other word at the time. To me the fact it is really a way of life makes us hard core. The best part none of us give a rats BEhind what anyone thinks. 8 )

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ref I like your definition. The biker thing I understand the 1% who are nothing more than dirt bags and don't even ride much. I think True hard core bikers are guys or gals that truly enjoy riding and do it as much as they can.

·
Banned
103 Posts
When it stops being a toy, some kind of tool for stimulating the senses or relaxation and becomes part of what you are. If you drive somewhere and everyone asks is your bike ok? you'll know you got there.

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Phil, I think you are a biker. The negative connotations asside, that's just other people's prejudice. You ride every chance you get, that makes you a biker and not just a rider. Although Tobo has it right on the Hard Core part.

I just enjoy the ride. I'm not really concerned what I get called, just as long as they call me for dinner.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
+1 on Ref's definition. Maybe "motorcycling enthusiast" too. Anyway, we're all folks who get out in the world with an alternative and fun mode of transportation. I think of all riders, regardless of brand, gender, age, etc. as the type of people Teddy Roosevelt was describing in this famous quote:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hard Core Biker?? - A "Biker" I am Not. Bikers in my opinion have a negative connotation. I am a Hard Core "Rider" - That would be someone who enjoys riding so much that, when given a choice of Ride the Bike or drive the Car, they will choose the bike. "I Ride Therefore I am". Distance and Weather are never factors to a hard core rider.......

I think this is the best answer yet!

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Well, I'm definetly not hard core. I've ridden in extreme temps, but I don't ride on wet pavement if I have a choice. I have been caught a few times when I needed to meet a schedule or keep a promise and felt I didn't have a choice. Last Friday I drove to work. One of my coworkers commented "Must be rain in the forcast." And there was.

But, seriously, call yourself what you want. Hard core, rider, biker, enthusiast, whatever. Think of riding as you want. As I've said before, for me it's therapy with lots of side benefits. Just keep riding and let me know if your passing thru Texas. I'll come ride with you for a while......uhb, if it's not raining.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
I just enjoy the ride. I'm not really concerned what I get called, just as long as they call me for dinner.
I'm with you my friend, never concerned me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My rule of thumb is,if it's warmer than 40 degrees and not raining I ride my bike,and sometime I ignore the 40 degree part.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Doubt I'd be fitting into the hard core definition anymore. I used to ride everywhere regardless of weather (aside from snow anyway) but I spend alot of time caging it the past 10 years or more. Just seem to have too much reason (excuse?:eek:) to use my truck so much of the time now. I do get pretty stupid on the length of the days in the saddle when I'm alone though if that carries any weight. Can't get away with it when the missus is on the back, it's better when she's smiling rather than frowning (or worse:eek:).

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, riding, Wings and these common interests seem to be enough to get us to contribute to a thread. I wanted to see what you all thought about hard core riders and thank you for contributing...anyone interested in a possible 5500 mile run from Key West to Dead Horse Alaska..pm me...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.