Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 07 Wing that had problems with overheating + lots of happy miles. Tried everything and gave up and traded up to a 2012 Wing. Before trading I removed my trailer hitch, mud flap, mp3 player and highway pegs.
Now to my question does anyone know if the trailer hitch and mud flap(wiring) will fit the 2012 bike? I have already installed the highway pegs. and the 2012 doesn't need a mp3 player.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The appear to be several items form the pre 12 wings that will fit the 12, some things changed, some didn't. Be cautious just to make sure before purchasing.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Because of the differences in the 2012 back end and saddle bags you might not be able to use the trailer hitch or mud flap. Don't know for sure, but I'm thinking other 2012 owners will be interested in your findings....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trailer Hitch update

Well I finally tore into the trailer hitch problem. I looked at the Bushtec and the Rivco hitches they both look exactly alike. When I took my 2012 bike down to the point that I could check out the differences between the pre 12 and the 12 GW I found that the 12 model has a new brace app 15" to the rear of the mounting point for the hitch, on both sides. This brace connects to the left back support frame and goes over the tire and connect to the right support frame. Now here is an interesting discovery, looking at the Bushtec site and comparing the photos of the pre 12 and the 12 hitches the photos are the very same. NO DIFFERENCE. The photo of the 2012 GW hitch shows the left brace to be straight and the right brace to have a couple of jigs in the brace. This jig enables the hitch to bypass the new brace. But the photo for the pre 2012 GW has the same jigs. If the photos are true representation of the hitch IT WONT FIT, no jig on the left side to clear this new horizontal brace. Now the hitch I removed off my pre 12 GW has no gigs on either brace. If you look up the hitch for a pre 12 GW the photo shows the braces to be straight. WHATS UP WITH THIS? Is it that they don't want anyone to be able to see what has changed? CHECK IT OUT.....I have decided to take my pre 12 GW hitch to a machine shop and have the jigs welded in and and a new hitch tongue made to correct for the extended rear fender, there by saving about $320.00.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trailer Hitch update

I finally got my trailer hitch mounted:D I have some good news for everyone "the trailer hitch that I had on my 07 Wing fit my 2012 wing perfectly. had to modify the hitch tongue I added 3" to make the length 9" from the vertical box iron to the center of the ball hole. This was done so that the trailer ball would be outside the rear fender.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Great follow up, thanks for posting your results. I'm sure it will help someone else.

Thanks again. Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Fair play Wetumpka, thanks for sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts