Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sylvester the cat might say that, but I didn't. Didn't say "Thuffering Thuccotash" either. What I said can hardly be posted here!:eek:

Went out to the shop tonight to adjust Bobo's valves before installing the rebuilt carbs. I had my laptop on my wife's car's trunk with PDFs from Budoka-san pulled up (thanks again, Daryl! Really above and beyond the call) about the procedure and specs. I felt really cyber hip! Everything went fine, the valves did need adjustment and the rockers looked good, so put the valve covers back on (do need to replace the valve cover gaskets as they're pretty stiff, but not until I fire him off and know there are no HUGE problems.) First the left side, then the right, using a 1-4-3-2 tightening pattern with a "light duty" torque wrench (wrist only, thumb on the left side of the wrench head, 2nd and 3rd fingers at the base of it.) Being very careful.

There are a few things that drive wrenchers/gearheads nuts. One is the classic you're "all done" with a project and then you notice one part that's been hiding behind a drop cord or whatever and you know it's important, and you know that it belongs at the deepest part of the job you thought you just completed.:eek: The other one, the one I experienced tonight, is "completing" a job perfectly and simply buttoning things up, and then, while carefully torquing in a valve cover bolt, the pressure goes from moderate (maybe 15ftlbs) to nothing. Yep, I have a sheered valve cover bolt in Bobo's right side head. Nice way to end the evening.:mad: Hopefully I can get it with an easy-out, but this may involve a trip with the head to a machine shop. Shucks!;) Yeah, that's not what I said either!:eek:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Don't feel alone, I did the same thing on the 1500 I just sold. I took the cylinder head cover (valve cover) back off and was able to use a small screwdriver to back the broken piece out. If you can give me the measurements of the bolt, I might have an extra one.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I know I'm not alone, Kerry! Unfortunately, plenty of company. Well, it's a 29 year old bolt; simple metal fatigue happens.

Anyway, the bolt is 3-1/4" long. I also need to replace the rubber washers/stoppers that go on them, so if you have any of those in good shape I'll buy 'em.

I'll start a thread about my other current issue: no brake lights. Do you have a brake & taillight sensor and brake light relay in that stack of parts?
Kevin

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
While I'm glad the PDFs helped, I'm sorry about your bolt problem. If 'tank hasn't got what you need maybe e-bay will turn up some results at a fair price. I just picked up a digital caliper for next to nothing (brand new) as my manual one seems to have fallen into the black hole of tools.:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts