Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to rent a trailer to transport a trike cross country but would like recommendations on what size to rent. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Just rent an open trailer and don't cover the bike. Being uncovered the bike is no more in the weather than riding it. A cover just beats the bike up. A good wash job on arrival and all is good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A trailer 12' long would handle it, 7" wide would be OK. Having a ramp included to load is a must, as is the trailer and ramp being low to the ground. A high trailer bed and short ramp give you a situation where you can bottom out as the bike is about half way onto the trailer, the breakover point is too high. If the ramp is not hinged to the rear of the trailer. always tie it to the trailer so that it does not shoot backwards while loading, the rear wheels will try to move it that way, leaving you with a potential backward somersault while sitting on the bike. Figure that the trailer will need a bit more than a thousand pound weight rating. Double that to be safe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not an issue for your trike, but the front wheel "chock" on the U-Haul is just a dent in the front wall, it's not anything that's going to hold your bike up in the event a strap fails.

·
Registered
307 Posts
YES! DO NOT COVER WHEN TOWING..... back in 2000 when I first purchased my brand new Suzuki 850 ......I was so excited, that I finely had the money to buy a monster 850cc bike (at the time, I traded in a 450cc Honda, (the 750cc Honda was king of the mountain at the time) I purchased it from a dealership, out of my Massachusetts area, (where I lived) and tow'd it home..
Well, when I got home and I was all excited to show my parents, my new motorcycle, when I uncover'd it, I just sat and cried, most of the paint, was rubb'd off the tank and fenders....(I had no money left over to REpaint it ( I at the time borrowed money from a bank loan to pay for my bike)....My father was sad for me, that he paid to have it REpainted for me! (love yea dad/he passed away)

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I agree never cover the trike. Also when securing it down just strap to the axle or other low point as there is no need to tie down as you would a standard 2 wheeler. Your only concern is keeping the trike from rolling forward or backward. strapping high on the trike will cause the straps to tighten and loosen and will damage the trike or break the straps. 3 straps is all you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts