Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These pics are actually the beginning of the trip.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Scooter Automotive window part
Phil aka EFINREF and I at Brady's Coffee in Tyler, Tx.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Randy aka Bentwing02 on his 03 Wing on our ride together out to west Texas
Body of water Water resources Water Coast Sea
Possom Kingdom Lake Dam

Green Land lot Natural landscape Highland Natural environment
Original Loving Ranch from which the movie Lonsome Dove is based. It sits below the dam at Possom Kingdom Lake which is the Brazos River.

Commemorative plaque Text History Memorial Stele
Historic sign regarding the Loving Ranch

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Dan wrote:
Good morning Bill, Doc and Rick. Met Phil aka EFINREF yesterday at 11 am, who was headed to his son's graduation in San Antonio and bring him back to Alabama. We had a nice chat at a coffee shop In Tyler, Tx over a latte. We both were on a bit of a schedule as he was needing to be in SA by 5:00 and I was on my bike headed out to west Texas to a wedding. Phil got down to SA in time and met up with his son. I got to Mineral Wells, about half way on my journey and got a hotel. Temps were quite warm in the mid nineties as I wore an evaporation cooling vest which was a blessing. Contacted Randy aka BentWing02 as he's headed this way this morning as we're going to ride west together out to Albany where I'll break away and head south toward Abilene. Expect to reach my destination, Big Springs tonight where I"ll be attending my Niece's wedding tomorrow.

Randy wrote:
Last week I mentioned that unexpected meeting with Bevman. In that I also wondered if I had unknowingly been on a ride with DanB.

Tonight I was on my computer planning a solo day ride down to Wellborn for lunch. I decided to check my email and there's a note from DanB.

Tonight, he's in Mineral Wells on his way to a wedding in Big Spring. So, delete the Wellborn ride. I'm meeting Dan in the morning to ride out to somewhere near Abilene and I'll be home tomorrow night.

Details tomorrow.

Randy wrote:

Well, this morning I get to Dan's motel about five minutes early and he's outside the front door standing by a very nice 1500, motor running and warmed up. This guy's as eager to ride as I am. A few minutes of introduction and minor ride planning.

Dan's plan was to take US180 west to Albany and south from there. But he had some extra time to spend before getting to Big Sping, so I throw in about an hour's worth of detours to his plan.

Detour 1.We leave Mineral Wells south on US281. A nice wide 2-lane that winds downhill and across an old steel arch bridge over the Brazos to IH20. Just before IH20, we turned west on TX2201 to Santo. From Santo, north on TX4 to Palo Pinto. This little stretch of road is only about 15 miles long but is consistently voted one of the Top Ten roads by the readers of Ride Texas magazine. Its a red-headed step sister of the Twisted Sisters.Dan had never been on it, so it was a must. From Palo Pinto, back on US180 to Albany.

Detour 2. About 15 miles later, we turn north on TX16 for Possum Kingdom Lake. We cross the Brazos again just below the PK dam. Literally below the elevation of the dam. A couple miles past this is a state fish hatchery. DO NOT ride pass here on a hot August day unless you can hold your breath five minutes. Even then the smell will be on your clothing for the rest of the day. The road takes a sharp right and starts an uphill climb. Halfway up the climb, the road makes a blind sharp left against the hillside. Stop here. There is a small overlook with enough parking for two cars or maybe six bikes. Looking back to the south, we're a couple hundred feet above the Loving Ranch. There a historical marker that explains this was the ranch that was the basis for the movie Lonesome Dove. I don't think any of the filming was done here. Its just setting for the movie. Next shortly after that, take a left and stop at the overlook a couple hundred feet ABOVE the dam. Impressive site. From here, back to US180 via the same road we were just on, and west for Albany.

Albany an interesting little town. Population is about a thousand, mostly ranchers and businesses that support ranching. The nearest metro area is Abilene, 35 miles southwest. But little Albany has a major world class art museum behind a very unique courthouse. And on the western edge of town is the Hereford Motel. What looks like a movie set for an old western movie with sherrifs office, jail, blacksmith, general store, etc. But the door to each of those shops is actually a door to a motel room.

Dan's plan was to go south from here on US283. Nope. Detour 3. We continue west on US180 for about 6 or 7 miles and turn left on TX351. This goes straight to Abilene. About halfway, the road passes through the Abilene Wind Farm. At least a hundred of the huge 3-bladed turbine generators. Stopped for a couple of pictures.

In Abilene, we stopped for gas, went to Dan's exit off IH20. He went south, and I started my ride back home. I was very surprised when I got Dan's email last night. But very pleased I did. It was along day, close to 400 miles. And made me think maybe an attempt at an Iron Butt ride isn't really realistic for me. But it was great and I have no doubt I'll do it again. Even sooner if any of you want to join me.

And Dan. A great ride partner and a super person in general. Thanks for inviting me, Dan, and for putting up with my detours.

Take care all and ride safe

Dan wrote:
After saying goodbye in Abilene around 1pm, Randy gets on the super slab I-20 heading back to Dallas and I ride south to the little town of Buffalo Gap. Some friends of mine were there recently and said it’s an eclectic art community and worth visiting. So I head down to Buffalo Gap and ride into town looking for a coffee shop. End up walking into a very off beat art studio that had one of their prized pieces, a stained glass casket for 5k. Asked about a coffee shop and he said there was none and I told him there ought to be one. It was a brief reprieve from the heat as he had the best shade tree in town to park my bike under.

My goal on this entire trip was to ride all rural roads out to Big Springs, Texas some 600 miles from home in East Texas. So when Randy and I split up I didn’t want to ride I-20 from Abilene to Big Springs, however take the long way through the back country south of Abilene. I rode 277 south west to Bronte which was 100 degrees when I arrived. Only one store in town which was also the gas station and fried chicken restaurant. Got a cold drink and sat inside near some old timers talking farm and ranch. The flies inside the restaurant were horrible as I wondered which was worse, the flies or the heat. Saddled up and rode past Abilene State Park and soon saw the largest ranch gate entry, the Chadbourne Ranch which is home to Fort Chadbourne. I think Phil can appreciate the magnitude of this grande gate entry as he was on the lookout on his visit from Alabama for anything that was bigger than life in Texas. The terrain on this ride really surprised me as I often discounted this part of Texas when driving past in a cage on the interstate as a barren wasteland. Seeing the backcountry from a motorcycle opened up a whole new appreciation of the ranches, farms, elevation relief, numerous trees and wildflowers and twisty roads unlike the straight freeways. Having left Bronte my next town was Robert Lee named after Robert E. Lee who served in Texas as a lieutenant colonel in the US Army Second Calvary. He was believed to have set up a camp on the Colorado River near this township. One of the great attractions to this area are the white tailed deer that attract a significant crowd of hunters. Fortunately I saw none riding through this area. From Robert Lee I rode 158 to Sterling City and up to Big Springs arriving at 7pm. Debbie had driven up earlier in the week to help with the wedding as we met up with one another at the church on Friday night for the wedding rehearsal. Saturday we attended the wedding and departed on Sunday morning headed back to Troup, Tx. on I-20.

Dan wrote:
Riding back from west Texas today and I"m cruising thru Dallas on I-20, which was a little more than half way home on my 420 mile ride and I notice this guy in a small red pickup running along side me in the fast lane. I look over and it's Randy whom I rode with on Friday on my ride out to west Texas. He's waving at me. Now what's the odds of that happening in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the U.S?

Dan wrote:
Perhaps you were a good omen Randy because not 5 minutes after I saw you the pu truck in front of me hits his brakes hard and whips his truck into the adjacent lane as a car top carrier is right in the middle of my lane as I'm going 65. I never even touched my brakes as I counter steered with right hand and leaned strong to the left missing it by inches and all the while maintaining lane position and jockeyed back to the right. My wife was behind me as I watched in the mirror as she appeared to barely miss it too. Later she told me she grazed it with her bumper. When folks say that the 1500 isn't flickable, I say bull. I learned just how flickable my bike is. I was blown away at how agile a 1500 can be. I was also overwhelmed with how much trash and debris was on this section of the interstate going through Ft. Worth and Dallas. I saw car bumpers, plastic body panels, a bed box spring and lumber and shredded semi truck tires. Running in the city in tight formation is particularly hazardous on 2 wheels when one's reaction time is seriously compromised.

We pulled into home at 7:30 pm for a total of 420 miles and 9 hours in the saddle. Trip total was nearly a thousand miles.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Wind Motorcycle
Wind turbine farm south of Albany

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Road
Randy and trike at wind turbine farm

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Transport
Chadbourne Ranch,Boot spur entry, Bronte Texas

Nature reserve National park Tree Font Landscape
Chadbourne Ranch, a 30,000 acre ranch which is now primarily a tourist attraction, Ft. Chabourne

Grassland Natural environment Plain Steppe Land lot
West Texas skyline looking south from Bronte which is south of Abilene

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Nice pics Dan, thanks for the report.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is great to see you putting the miles on that bike. Wish I lived a little closer, we could do some riding together.
I've put nearly 5000 miles in just a few months on the bike Larry. Wished you were closer too as we would be doing some serious riding together. This bike is such a dream to me as it is so smooth, reliable and is gutsy when I need it. I feel as though I could ride this Wing anywhere in North America with complete confidence in it's ability and reliability. That was the kind of bike I had hoped for and thanks to you I now have one.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Wow...what a report. I feel like I was there. Oh yeah, I was....at least for part of it. I wish we had a place like Brady's around here. That was a quality Latte....and those Scons. Thanks again for meeting up with me and I'm glad you had a safe adventure.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We encourage on- line dating here. The result speak for itself.
Right on dude. I was an active member on a scooter forum before getting my "big" bike. I've had more interaction, meet ups, tech help, mentoring and friendship here than I did on that forum or on one of the other Wing forums. This is the happening place. :D

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been fun having you around and watching you grow, :D:rolleyes:
Thanks Ron. My journey into Wing ownership has not been in a vacuum but in the company, mentoring and friendship of special folks like you and many others who have helped make this journey one of real joy for me. Joining this forum and interacting with all of you has been educational, edifying and personally fulfilling. I just wish I could see your face, shake your hand and ride with you. So far I've gotten to meet some of the Texas members and Phil from Alabama. This summer I'll meetup with you Ron and Larry in Seattle when Deb and I visit our daughter and grandson in Portland, Oregon. I hope to meet many more here as well. This is a super Goldwing family.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
The forum, removes the time and distance between like minded people. I spend more time on the two wing forums than I spend on Facebook or any other web site. Some get it, others don't.

I do look forward to participating with the GWRRA chapters here in Western Washington to meet like minded people in my area.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
It's nice to see that members are getting together and forming those special bonds that only sharing the road can provide.
"Ichi go, ichi ei" Japanese saying that means "this time, this place". Gatherings and meet-ups such as yours, and what Eric is embarking on are an historical event that can only happen once in a lifetime. You can return many times, but there will always be something different or someone/something missing in subsequent events. Hold onto the moment, it's precious and unique.:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Thanks Ron. My journey into Wing ownership has not been in a vacuum but in the company, mentoring and friendship of special folks like you and many others who have helped make this journey one of real joy for me. Joining this forum and interacting with all of you has been educational, edifying and personally fulfilling. I just wish I could see your face, shake your hand and ride with you. So far I've gotten to meet some of the Texas members and Phil from Alabama. This summer I'll meetup with you Ron and Larry in Seattle when Deb and I visit our daughter and grandson in Portland, Oregon. I hope to meet many more here as well. This is a super Goldwing family.
Looking forward to your visit to the Northwest my Friend.
This is a fun place to hang out. Really fine folks here.

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
The Honda motorcycle motto back in the 60's was "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". It's good to see that it's still true today. Ride safe my friends...

·
Registered
203 Posts
We took some friends for a ride in March/late April up by Possum Kingdom but missed that plaque. Hoping to meet up with our "texas" friends from the forums some day and others throughout other areas. Will be up in Nebraska/Iowa/South Dakota first part of July. Amazing people on here that I have been blessed to find!! I usually don't get on here until the weekend as I work alot of hours but when I can, I come back "home" to the forum!! Give out a shout if you need a couple "older" wingers to ride with!
Ride with the angels surrounding you.
God bless,
Angelmammaw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts