Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of taking my family to the pacific NW this fall.
We would be travelling the week before thanksgiving, is this a good time to travel to this area?

I am thinking of flying into Seattle are renting a car and going down the coast. My family ( three of us, so no bike for this trip)

We have never been to the this part of the country, my daughter has a two week break and thought that we could see this part of the country. She is an avid photographer, also I would like to see the Redwood Forrest. Is this too far into fall?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, I could take Larry to Dinner :)

·
Premium Member
24,516 Posts
We did the coast in the month of September (mid) and it was gorgeous. Not too much traffic and the weather was great except for mornings on the Oregon coast, bit foggy and windy but still very bearable. Nice without all the tourist traffic clogging the sights;)

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Scooter, you will find the PNW wet and cool in the latter weeks of November, with that said, it is still an awesome drive down the Pacific Coast Hwy (hwy 101). Having been born and raised in Oregon there isn't much of the state that I haven't seen nor to many roads I haven't taken my bike down. There is allot to see along hwy 101 from Washington to California, however, the tourist season will be over and many unique stores will be closed for the season. The trip through the Redwoods is a must see, just south of Crescent City,CA is "the Trees of Mystery" is is located in the heart of the Redwoods. If you are planning on flying back through Seattle then you can take 101 to Crescent City and up 199 to Grants Pass and catch I-5 north to Seattle, if your return is open or you can fly out of SF then you can take 101 all the way to San Francisco.
I'll assure you that you and your family will enjoy the trip, but be careful, most people who visit the PNW choose to stay.

·
Premium Member
16,688 Posts
Pretty much what Terry said. November you should be a head of the snow, except possibly in the mountains. The coast can be foggy and damp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll be taking my Wing from Austin to the SF Bay Area Thanksgiving week for vacation. Weather should be cool but nice, though one year I took IH 40 and it had heavy snow - I was in a truck with a trailer but very nerve wracking.
I was in Washington state Thanksgiving week 1990 and got 9 inches of rain over night and it flooded the motel parking lot. A film crew was there shooting it, so it must have been unusual even for Washington.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts