Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

were there any bad years for goldwings

16K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  blk93wing 
#1 ·
i just got my first wing. an old one 1977 but i love it, when i get the next newer one are there any models i should avoid?
thanks
bigworm:)

#2 ·
I work in manufacturing and there are many similarities to my average day, hondas and your question. (# of wheels does not matter)

1-first couple of years of a model are spent getting the bugs worked out
2-the middle is pretty safe
3-the final years are spent looking for cost savings aka, cheaper parts

As for the Honda, a bike well taken care of is a pretty safe bet. When you find a specific bike, talk to dealer, have them look it over (small price to have confidence in your future ride that takes care of you) and he can look up recall info if any and see if that bike has been upgraded.

good luck, hope this helps.

#3 ·
Issues

There were frame issues in 02, 03 and 04. Check to see if the VIN number is under recall and if the recall has been complied with. This was a frame weakness issue. The serial numbers are known. A few frames actually cracked, these bikes were taken to Maysville and repaired. Others simply had to be rewelded (paid for by Honda under an extensive recall). Personally, I would look for an 05 or newer.

#4 ·
There were frame issues in 02, 03 and 04. Check to see if the VIN number is under recall and if the recall has been complied with. This was a frame weakness issue. The serial numbers are known. A few frames actually cracked, these bikes were taken to Maysville and repaired. Others simply had to be rewelded (paid for by Honda under an extensive recall). Personally, I would look for an 05 or newer.
I believe that should be Marysville, as in Ohio.

#7 ·
Biggest issues with the 1500's was the alternator (underpowered and failure) and the bank angle sensor. For the 1800's it was frame welds and cooling issues on the early models (2001-2004). Although there were reported problems for the most part Goldwings have been very reliable and known to go over 200k miles. Good luck in your search for a new one...

Here is a link to a site that has information on recalls for motorcycles.

http://www.automotive.com/motorcycle-recalls/index.html

#8 ·
Dont forget the 84-86 1200 and the stator problems. TONS have been written on that subject and many fixes (none which are cheap :rolleyes:). Ride safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.