Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I wanted to change my air filter on my 97 GL1500 SE model. I did not want another OEM filter, and K/N filters suck!!!! Yes they flow great, "BUT" they do no trap the fine damaging dirt particles. So never run a K/N in anything!!! That is if you care about your bikes and cars, ect. I went with a Amsoil EaAM26 air filter. It fits all GL1500's (1988-2000.) Yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for. either myself as an Amsoil dealer or the Amsoil site sponser I think can get it for you for wholesale/dealer cost, which is HUGE savings!!! I would contant the Amsoil site sponser about it first if your interested.

Here is some info on EaAM motorcycle air filters Amsoil makes. (All this info came off Amsoils corporate website)

Enjoy, Scott!!!!!:D

Ea Motorcycle Air Filters (EaAM)
AMSOIL has brought Nanofiber technology to the motorcycle market. AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Air Filters hold 15 times more dust than a wet gauze type filter. Their nanofiber media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filters and 50 times more dust than wet gauze.

See Pricing Information or Place an Order
PowerSports & Motorcycle Filter Lookup
EaAM Filter Specifications and Pictures (PDF 120k)

Nanofiber Basics
Because the nanofibers in AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Air Filter media are so small, there are more pores per square inch, allowing for higher dirt-holding capacity and lower pressure drop compared to traditional filter medias. Thinner media fibers produce more uniform pore size distribution, improving the filter’s overall ability to capture and retain particles.

Air Filtration Basics
An engine requires air for combustion, but the air drawn in through the induction system is loaded with contaminants. There are over 400 tons of suspended dirt and other contaminants in a cubic mile of air over a typical city. The concentration can be even higher in rural areas where there is frequent travel on unpaved roads. The dirt and contaminants drawn into an engine from the air are the leading causes of engine wear.

The function of the air filter is to trap and hold these wear causing contaminants without restricting air flow. As the filter traps more and more contaminants, air flow becomes restricted, smothering the engine and diminishing performance. The more wear causing contaminants a filtration media traps and holds, while still allowing optimum air flow, the better the filtration media.

The nanofiber technology used in AMSOIL Ea Filters surpasses all other technology in efficiency, capacity and service life. With AMSOIL Ea Air Filters, dust and submicron particles remain on the surface and are trapped in the nanofibers, preventing particles from lodging in the filter media depth. This produces higher efficiency and higher capacity, extending engine and filter life and reducing engine wear.

Ea Motorcycle Air Filters
The filtration media in the Ea Motorcycle Air Filter is pleated and has epoxy-coated wire on the face and back of the media for additional strength and stiffness. High quality plastisol potting compounds bond the pleat packs to the plastic or aluminum side plates. The S&S (aftermarket engine and carburetor manufacturer) style round filters are manufactured with high-quality plastisol that bonds the media to the wire backing and sealing area.

Superior Filtration
The synthetic nanofiber media featured in AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Air Filters have sub-micron diameters and small inter-fiber spaces, resulting in more contaminants being captured on the surface of the media and lower restriction. Cellulose, wetted gauze and foam filters have larger spaces between the media that cause contaminants to load in the depth of the filter, resulting in airflow path plugging, higher restriction and lower capacity.

Cleanable for Long Service Life
AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Air Filters are cleanable, providing unsurpassed protection and long service life. AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Air Filters should be cleaned every year or according to operating conditions. Operation in extremely dusty or dirty environments may require more frequent cleaning. Ea Motorcycle Air Filters should be changed every four years.

Cleaning Instructions
AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Air Filters are cleaned in the same manner as AMSOIL Ea Air Filters for cars and light trucks: with a vacuum or shop air. To clean with a vacuum, place the filter on a flat surface and carefully vacuum the filter media on the dirty side where the incoming airflow enters the filter. To clean with shop air, hold the filter with one hand and carefully blow the filter media at a 45-degree angle on the clean side of the filter using low-pressure (15 to 20 psi) shop air. Using too much air pressure will damage the filter media.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Might be something I'll look at for my next filter. I have a buddy that's a supplier.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, nice commercial...:rolleyes: I use K&N in ALL my vehicles, for you to state they "suck" is immature at best, and I would like to know what facts you base your comments on?
These filters you are "selling" are ONLY available..(according to what you posted) for 8 models of Harleys! So, why you posted here is a mystery to me...:rolleyes:
Opps! Sorry, I missed the part about having to change them every 4 yrs..guess they DON'T have a million mile warranty?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to there website www.amsoil.com. it was a cut and paste from their site. And yes compared to amsoil filters, k/n suck

UOTE=BladeRunner;58572]Well, nice commercial...:rolleyes: I use K&N in ALL my vehicles, for you to state they "suck" is immature at best, and I would like to know what facts you base your comments on?
These filters you are "selling" are ONLY available..(according to what you posted) for 8 models of Harleys! So, why you posted here is a mystery to me...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, you are right! They are expensive:eek: $38.70 & you throw them out ever 4 yrs, hmmm...that can add up fast. You still didn't answer why you are promoting Harley air filters on a GOLDWING forum?:rolleyes:
BTW, I may be wrong,but, I haven't heard of any Goldwings with S&S carbs..maybe you can enlighten me? There are probably lots of things I haven't heard of...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use K&N in my Truck and when I bought my Corvette which has a LT4 engine it had a K&N in it. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs and part of what they said was low insolubles and silicon shows good oil ( Mobil 1) and air filtration. Guess what air filter I'll put in my Wing. I also just recieved the report from the sample from the Wing. Amsoil with 5000 miles on the oil. It was a good report and they stated that I should go 6500 miles before my next change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look Guys.....

Sorry I copied and pasted info on Amsoil's Ea Motorcycle filters. I did not notice they Harley thing till after I posted it. By bad good god!!!!
Also how much do you love your WING????? When it comes to filtration, K/N filters YES do flow excellent. But when it comes dowm to how well they trap very small dirt and other engine damaging particles they suck! PERIOD! Did anyone read the article about Amsoils filters? Other than the harley part. Which yes I can't stand stupid rattle trap, oil leaking pos harleys!
Amsoil air filters have a full flow and trap up to "50" times the amout of dirt and other small particles than wet gauze type air filters, like K/N!

Sorry If I run nothing but the best products in my wing and other cars, ect. But money is way to hard to come by and I a firm beliver in preventive maintance. Is there something wrong with that????

·
Registered
198 Posts
Before I bought my Goldwing I had a 2001 Electra Glide and rode it 106,000 miles. No leaks no rattles and a K&N air filter. That was a damn good ride. I hope my Goldwing is as good. I have 97,000 miles to go to equal it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong w/OEM air filters and they are not overpriced:rolleyes:
Well, you are correct,there is nothing wrong with them,but,overpriced? Maybe not in your neck of the woods! Up here a Honda filter is $58:eek: The K&N is $67..what would YOU choose?:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Before I bought my Goldwing I had a 2001 Electra Glide and rode it 106,000 miles. No leaks no rattles and a K&N air filter. That was a damn good ride. I hope my Goldwing is as good. I have 97,000 miles to go to equal it.
We'll have to forgive our friend,he sounds a bit on the Green side; I mean when you put yourself out on a public board & state all the things ya hate on & your negative opinions on things...well lets give him some time to grow a little. He'll be alright.:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have been using k & n air filters since the mid '80's and still have two of my bikes ( '75 cb750k and '79 cb 750 superK ) from that time period. amsoil air filters may be better than k & n but k & n are not the worst filter to put in your ride

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I never said that K/N air filters were the worst thing to put in you ride!!!! I simply said that Amsoil vs the K/N filters there is no comparison. K/N DO NOT FILTER DAMAGING FINE DIRT AND OTHER PARTICLES WORTH A CRAP PERIOD! I like running the absoulte best products in my wing. Is there something wrong with that???????

Also for the guy that said I need a little time to grow up, what the hell kind of comment is that??? You're most likely old enought to be my dad and I bet I know 10 times about lubrication and filtration than you'll ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya your bike will go over 100K with a k/n sure. But take the same bikes one with a k/n filter and the other with an Amsoil Ea series filter, run them to a 100K tear the engine down and see what big difference there is in the internal engine wear and damage on the k/n bike.
Same goes for oil and oil filters..................

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
don't take my comments the wrong way and its my statement that k & n filters are not the worst filters out there, you didn't say that. i simply stated what i have been using for years and while i don't have 100,000 on either 750 i have had the '75 apart and it looked good at the time. given time some manufacture will come up with a better filter than this amsoil or amsoil themself will make a better filter than the one they are offering now. my main statement to anyone on this or any forum is " its your bike and you buy what you want for it "

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK, I sell BOTH K&N and Amsoil products. I haven't tried the newest generation of Amsoil air filters because I use K&N in all my vehicles. I have done oil analysis like a couple others here, and got the same result. The K&N filters just fine. As good if not better than stock filters. Independent oil analysis would pick up any defect in an air filter, and my tests have always come back superb. Also, I do a white glove test on my intake tract whenever I have it apart, and never, never, never had any dirt get past the filter. If they were as bad as Scott says, the oil analysis would be off the charts and the intake tract would look and be dirty. Doesn't happen.

Scott, you are the victim of a propaganda campaign somewhere. K&N filters just fine. But I will say this, I don't agree that they help with fuel mileage as K&N claims. A K&N WILL give you a bit more HP, depending on the engine and filter style, from 1-10 hp or so. (bigger numbers are for intake kits, a drop in filter is good for 1-3 hp at most on most cars). HP is tested at full throttle where less restriction counts. At part throttle where MPG is tested, a clean stock filter has no restriction. So don't buy a K&N for MPG, buy it because it is a good filter, lasts years, is easy to clean, and keeps your engine and oil clean. How can I back this up? Because I owned and ran a DynoJet dyno shop for a year, and did a LOT of testing on dozens of cars with K&N filters (and Amsoil oil, which also makes about 1-2 hp over clean regular oil).

I think the Amsoil filter is probably a good one, I just don't see the need to change. I use Amsoil oil in all my vehicles though and have been delighted with the results. And I am NOT selling anything here, I am not looking for customers, but I thought it might be useful to have the opinion of someone that both uses and sells both brands.

Oh, the Bob's the oil guy test of filters does NOT include the latest Amsoil filter, the one in the test in the link is an older style oiled foam filter that I DID use for a while and never liked. The new style filters are much better fitting and looking, but I don't know how they filter other than Amsoil's testing, which I usually have pretty good faith in. They do a lot of testing, and from independent labs usually.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I can personally say, as a certified old guy, I know a whole lot about lubrication.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Hot Dang.....Lets get ready to R-U-M-B-L-E.........In the blue corner fighting out of................:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.