Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Went for a 2-up ride tonight

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  GWTrike 
#1 ·
.. not far; just across town for dinner out with my daughter's family, but with my wife on the back of the Wing. This is the first time she's been on the back since I got the back brakes/caliper redone, so I was anxious to see how the bike performed with double the weight on it.

I've got a Voyager trike kit on my GL1500 and the first thing I noticed was how much smoother the bike rode with both of us on it. I wonder if I have too much air in the rear shocks when riding solo and/or too much air in the tires.

Braking was excellent as was acceleration. The Wing pulls the same and brakes very nearly the same, whether I'm riding solo or 2-up. What a great bike! I had a VTX1300 prior to the Wing and when riding 2-up, the bike's performance dropped noticeably and braking suffered. I had a VTX1800 before that and, like the Wing, couldn't tell the dif between riding solo or 2-up.

I also took my GL1500 in for an annual VA state inspection. The inspector who was looking over the bike remarked that I've taken good care of her. And indeed, I have - and I've got the debits in my checking account to prove it :)

Greg

See less See more
#6 ·
Any big change requires some adjustment be it on the bikew or the rider. Your Voyager may take some time to get to know what works best under what conditions, every day is a bit different.

#7 · (Edited)
I have never ridden a trike. I did add a sidecar to a perfectly good motorcycle once....and I felt I created a lawn mower.

I should have used your approach.... a little at a time.

I wore my girl friend out at first. I didn't take enough time with her before I set course for Phoenix riding two up from Seattle pulling a trailer. Even though I equipped her with a good helmet, heated gear and other creature comforts.... it was too much and too far. Her own coffee cup holder, e-reader and her own GPS to see where we were just was not enough.

We we got home... she said "40 miles tops." She has pretty much held to that amount. Her call.

#9 ·
Well you have maxed out your rider capacity for the Wing. (Unless you get a side car). Enjoy your rides together and be safe. Your Wing does indeed look great..

#10 ·
I have no experience with a Voyager kit or any of the other add on kits. But for what its worth, Motortrike suggests adding 8-10 lbs for passenger depending on weight. Or for any extra load for that matter, even a trailer. And even most two-wheelers will add extra air for a passenger. The ones who don't, probably just forgot to. Point being, riding solo, less air in the shock.

Take care and ride safe

#12 ·
I've got a Voyager trike kit on my GL1500 and the first thing I noticed was how much smoother the bike rode with both of us on it. I wonder if I have too much air in the rear shocks when riding solo and/or too much air in the tires.
In the installation manual they have you set up the suspension rather 'Stiff' and with one person it rides a bit hard. They have you run 80% capacity in the rear air shocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.