Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cool beans! Yea please let us know, how you like it! WHO MAKES THIS BIKE?? Just when I think that, I've seen and know about motorcycles, something new comes along..
I have to admit that I have never seen or heard of this make'rrrr of bike..... I have to say that's totally cool though!

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The original maker was Brammo the Polaris purchased the company and still retains ownership of this model. It's a direct competitor with the Zero and livewire however the performance is closer to the zero. It's different in that it has a 6 speed manual transmission but you take off in any of the lowest 3 gears without the clutch. It will go zero to 80 using just 3rd gear but 114 in 6th. This is a 2013 so they have been around for quite a while. Range is 70-90 miles between charges depending on how hard it's pushed. I am going to double the battery so 150-160 should be reasonable and enough for chasing around.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The original maker was Brammo the Polaris purchased the company and still retains ownership of this model. It's a direct competitor with the Zero and livewire however the performance is closer to the zero. It's different in that it has a 6 speed manual transmission but you take off in any of the lowest 3 gears without the clutch. It will go zero to 80 using just 3rd gear but 114 in 6th. This is a 2003 so they have been around for quite a while. Range is 70-90 miles between charges depending on how hard it's pushed. I am going to double the battery so 150-160 should be reasonable and enough for chasing around.
Ok "other" questions, if I may, cause you got my interest (Not trying to be a smart azz here) Where can you get a charge up if on the road? Can this bike be charged at some of those electric charging stations that I see every once in a while at some parking areas?? How long does a charge take to be 100%?? What would a charge up cost an owner if using a public charging station??

Thank you,
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That is a question that always comes up regarding electrics. Most towns actually do have fast chargers. You install an app on your phone which will show locations of all chargers and their type. Normal range on this one if driven mildly is 140 miles according to specs so in reality 110. One of the issues surrounding this type of ride is the comparing it to a goldwing or other long distance bike. This is not a long distance bike and would be more inline with a sportbike or off road bike. Few riders will travel very far on sportbikes or dirtbikes, they tend to trailer to a location then ride around a few hours and then it's Miller Time :) (like people going to Sturgis) This is strictly a commuter bike and a chase around deal. I know a few people that own Tesla cars and they have no issues with charging as there are stations all over. Just 4 blocks away from my home is a medical clinic with 3 chargers in the parking lot (fast chargers) I live in a small town. A charge from dead to full is 4 hours on a level 3 fast charger and 10 hours plugged in at home. So you ride 40 miles to Fleet Farm, Plug in and shop for tools and fishing gear and when you get out it's fully charged or close now you can horse around for 100 miles or so on the way home. It is like the situation we are in now, workable but you just have to adjust. Most charging stations are free as they are solar with battery backup some may charge but it's probably a few dollars.

More mud in the water :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thank you for your quick response, and with good info, concerning charging situations....These types of vehicles (electric) are sure to be the up and coming "thing" soon I'm sure, and these charging stations, I'm assuming, will be placed everywhere................Hmmmmmm you got me "thinking"
Thanks again!

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the app on my phone and there are charging stations all over the place. I can pretty much ride anywhere and do short breaks to top off the charge and possible do 400 - 500 miles a day. Most stations are free or super cheap. But we will see once it gets here. In any case I think it will be interesting at the least.
The Brammo is also the cheapest electrics as you can pick them up for under 7k compared to the livewire at 36k and they are comparable. Except the livewire has a seat vibrator to mimic a V-twin running, I though that was kind of humorous. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
I installed the app on my phone and there are charging stations all over the place. I can pretty much ride anywhere and do short breaks to top off the charge and possible do 400 - 500 miles a day. Most stations are free or super cheap. But we will see once it gets here. In any case I think it will be interesting at the least.
The Brammo is also the cheapest electrics as you can pick them up for under 7k compared to the livewire at 36k and they are comparable. Except the livewire has a seat vibrator to mimic a V-twin running, I though that was kind of humorous. :)
I'm not going to touch that!!!

Reactions: Luv2fish and ETC

·
Registered
249 Posts
When enough people get electric vehicles to use all the locally available chargers, do you have to wait hours for them to charge, and then wait hours for your vehicle to charge too?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK so I have the Brammo Empulse R in my garage and so far 5 or 6 test runs. Anyone who owns a DCT will appreciate the no need to shift and smooth speed transitions. This electric is not much different.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I find the electric "race" bikes intriguing (that's the animal in me) due to their unlimited torque. I mean if they have a whole classification at Isle of Mann and are breaking into AMA etc there has to be something there. I'm not convinced that they are a suitable alternative to a petrol powered people mover/grocery getter, but times are changing.

Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 16 of 16 Posts