Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened. My friend and I were going to meet up with a group from a neighboring town for a group ride. We got caught up in stop n go, bumper to bumper traffic. My '86 1200 started to heat up just a little bit. Then goofy things started happening. First, the idle started dropping. Then the clutch seemed to tighten up putting the friction point right next to the grip. Then the engine died and the starter “whirred” when I tried to start it. It took several tries but it did start. We started moving and it cooled down a little. Next stop, same thing. Then the goofiest thing that happened was the bike started going through the gears without me doing it!!! The readout went from 1st to 2nd to 3rd then to 4th. I was NOT touching the shifter!!! And the clutch wanted to let the bike “creep” forward when pulled in and me taking my foot off the brake. Sat in a parking lot for awhile to let the engine cool down, then turned around and went home. All went well driving on the highway, but problems when stopped and idling. Any ideas?? HELP!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys, I just talked to a Honda mechanic and he is worried about the entire clutch itself. He says with 95,000+ miles it is probably time for a NEW clutch. What do you guys think? AND he said some of the clutch plates have been discontinued for my '86. I asked about other supply houses and he hemmed and hawed. Ideas?? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
How does the clutch lever feel. Does it feel spoungy. Could it have air in it. From what you said in the start it doesn't sound like it is slipping. Eric

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I thought it felt real good. BUT 2 things...1.) This is my very first year of riding, EVER, so I have nothing to compare it to. (got the bike last year but spent most of the season learning how to ride and building up my confidence)
2.) I just had the same Honda mechanic bleed the clutch this spring. (I assume he did it right) So, it doesn't feel "spongy" to me, however, the friction point IS at a different position now. It is further away from the grip.
And no, it doesn't seem to slip. Except when I pull away from a stop and don't release the clutch correctly (My fault...still learning)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Eric. Thanks. I'll let him know. Now THAT'S what I was trying to tell him. Get away from Mother Honda and look at some other vendors.
But he really didn't listen to that.
Not a bad price either.
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Good call Eric. As a dealer I can see your dealer wanting to keep your Honda all Honda, but lets be realistic. If your bike was less than 10 years old and you HAD to get a new clutch I'd say stick with the oem parts. But on a bike that's 25 years old, why not go with an aftermarket piece, just makes good $ sense.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
You can try the poor mans clutch bleed.
Pull the clutch in about 3/4 of the way. Not all the way only about 3/4 of the way and tie it in place there. Let it set over night and see if there is any difference in it operation.
When it wanted to creep forward with the clutch pulled in, sounds to me like it needs bleeding.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rob, I'll do that tonight. Will that get rid of any air that might still be in the line?
By the way, Honda dealer did bleed the clutch earlier this spring. Says not necessary to do it again. I think he thought I was questioning his ability. He still says let's investigate NEW clutch plates...IF he can find them. said he's only found one so far. Others are discontinued!!! HUH??

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Tying the clutch in like I said above should bleed any air out that's in there. But it will take a few hours.

What was the engine temperature like.
I've seen it were the bike got real hot and cause the clutch fluid to get hot and cause moisture in the fluid to turn to steam, then the clutch does not work properly. ie. will not disengage allowing the bike to creep with the clutch squeezed in and the bike in gear.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Your dealer isn't totally wrong. 22202-ML8-000, 22202-ML8-000, and 22321-MG9-000 are still available up here; 22322-ML8-000 and 22350-MG9-000 are not. My bet is that there are cross-over applications that will sevre for the missing plates or a complete aftermarket clutch set. There must be some current models that still use those plates.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Your dealer isn't totally wrong. 22202-ML8-000, 22202-ML8-000, and 22321-MG9-000 are still available up here; 22322-ML8-000 and 22350-MG9-000 are not. My bet is that there are cross-over applications that will sevre for the missing plates or a complete aftermarket clutch set. There must be some current models that still use those plates.
If that is the case I will order a clutch kit and have it on standby. My bike has 80000mls and they don't last forever. Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Maestro! I ride in 104-5 weather daily and have never experienced clutch problems. What weight oil and type are you running? When it gets hot is the oil possibly thinning out? I switched to synthetics primarily because of the heat here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The oil filter should catch the clutch material. Tear it apart and see what's in it ,they usually tell the tale of internal abnormalities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.