Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dreaded front end wobble that I have heard so much about. The first 1400 miles went great. Other than the dang surging idle problem, everything else was fine.
The I made a 1000 mile trip to the hill country this past weekend and right around the 2000 mile mark on the ODO, I started noticing the bars shake at around 35-40 mph. Not real bad but it is there just like everyone else says is present on their wings.

And my surging idle has gotten worse it seems. I actually had it die at a stop light when I goosed the throttle to try to stop the surge. It fell to near zero rpm and could not recover, just died.

Other than that, the Hill Country trip was AWESOME!! We did the Twisted Sisters twice and even got snapped up by txmotophoto.com. Wish I would have known he was there, we look like goobers in this pic!

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
You guys look fine to me Buzzy. That wobble thing really is pain though for you 1800 guys.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Did you try the ECM reset to fix the surging. When the bike is cold, I believe you start the bike up and let it idle until the fans kick in and let it run for another 90 seconds. Shut it off and restart it without touching the throttle. That should reset everything.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you try the ECM reset to fix the surging. When the bike is cold, I believe you start the bike up and let it idle until the fans kick in and let it run for another 90 seconds. Shut it off and restart it without touching the throttle. That should reset everything.
I have done the ECM reset at least 6 times and there is ZERO change in how the engine idles.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Welcome to the GL1800 club. Your membership includes the following: A little wobble feel around 40 mph ( take your hands off the grips and you can " watch " the wobble. ) ; a little surging in the rpm's when completing a stop . Welcome to the club.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
I'm starting to like the fact that I ride a 1500.:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got an '09 and got the surge but no wobble. The first long trip we did, the rpm's idled at 12-1500 after about 250 kms. We were cruising through a little town and the only way I could do it was to ride the clutch due to the high rpm. It suddenly disppeared and hasn't done it since. However, it still slightly surges when I come to a stop but just up a down a few hundred rpm's for a few seconds and I have become used to it. PR

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Honda's fix for the wobble is "DON"T TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THE BARS". most of us guy are replacing the stock roller head bearings with ALL BALLS tapered bearings, that will fix the problem. On your next set of tires try Bridgestone 709 front and 704 rear with dyna beads in them that will probably take care of the problem also. Take the bike back to the dealer and have them fix the surging idle, that is not bormal, I have an 08 with 22,000 and never an idle surge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 1990 GL1500 had the wobble around 40 mph if you took your hands off the bars. I complained to Honda and they told me the same thing they told Joe in Calif, "Don't take your hands off the bars".

I don't remember it surging. My brand new 2008 isn't wobbling yet but it does have a slight surge or two when coming to a stop. Not enough to complain about - yet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do ride with at least one hand on the bars at all times. For some reason, it takes a lot of balance to keep this wing straight with no hands. The way I found out was up in the hill country, we seemed to be doing around 40 quite a bit tooling around towns and such.
When your just putting along, it's a good time to light up and that requires a free hand. I have the Kuriakin "clam shell" grips and have no bar weights on them so you can see vibration pretty easy. At around 35-40 I noticed a steady little movement in the bars. So I let go and watched as they just wobbled. First thing that came to mind was when Chopin asked me if mine had the "wobble" and at that time I did not. Sum Biach!! I got it now!

Oh and by the way Chopin, I fixed my Cigarette lighter problem! I am happy to report that I can now continue my 1.5 pack a day habit even while riding all day! And I can comfortably smoke up to 80 mph.......lol.
You should see the looks I get as we are tooling along I-10 @ 75 and cars are beside us, I reach down in my bag, grab a cig, reach down and pull out the cig lighter and lite it up. The last thing they expect to see is a guy riding a bike @ 75 and light a cig up! I think I will add a "Wet Bar" on the dash next!! (J/K, no drinking and driving EVER!)
I will try to get some pictures of what I did this evening.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Buzzy! You got the infamous Wobble Bug too! Is their really comfort in numbers ? No. I'd feel the same if I were the only one who had it or a billion riders had it. Congrats on the lighter! You are an inspiration. Look forward to the pics. Light 'em up!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
I'm glad I'm low income and can only afford a 1200!

;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts