Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting it undressed for a new paint job

1. You can start anywhere. I chose the trunk.
First I removed the trunk lid, trunk inner skin, seat backrest, speaker pods (found 3 broken speaker wires) Radio & CB anntenae mast, trunk lights, speaker bases, CD player.
antennae bases and stereo amp...thats when i came to a screaching STOP.
2. thats where the problem started: you have to take out the radio to get to the plug to take out the amp under the CD player; SOOO I
3. went to the front of the bike, Removed the shelter with the radio. After that, I kept going in the front.
removed the windshield, visor, faring, and front fender (front and back pieces) and the chrome caliper covers.
4. Needless to say, nuts and bolts were flying everywhere. I put them back where I could, and the ones I couldn't went into marked baggies.
5. After the front was done, I attacked the back.again i took out the stereo wires, then i removed the rest of the rear trunk (tail lights and wires), license plate holder.
Removed the 2 sidebags. 6 hours into disassembly so far.
I'll never figure out how it all goes back together. maby after i paint everything I'll figure it out
Now all the assemblies that I have removed, need to be disassembled for prep and painting. Front cowl, rear trunk, bags, radio enclosure

along with paint i will be dooing a 2012 rear diff,roter,caliper,and shock assembaly..also front brakes and mabey front fork rebuild new rear spoiler and rack new under trunk spoiler...a boatload of chrome... and DUCT TAPE...LOL

here are some pix
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2091673880069078750DocLJI?vhost=rides

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
i'm glad you have it all figured out :)
good luck with your project

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the understatment of the YEAR

I'm glad you have it all figured out :eek:

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Been there done that and I got the T-shirt too........

Be sure to take your time in preping for paint and also in and also in the reassembly.

So what color you going to paint it?????

You know RED is the fastest......LOL.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Are you changing colors? Did you have a panel that needed replacing/repaired? That is quite a project and I commend you on your efforts.

I don't particularity like black, however, I would rather sell mine and buy a different color than take it down like you did to change the color.

Did you take all of your toys apart when you were a kid?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paint

Be sure to take your time in preping for paint and also in and also in the reassembly.

I plan on painting it 2 tone Bright Orange Metalic with silver flake the 2 nd color will be Quicksilver Metalic with silver and orange flake all outlined with blue metalic stripes...

The prep is the most important part.outside of the reassembly

Orange candy is faster...LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pannel repair/replaced

Are you changing colors? Did you have a panel that needed replacing/repaired? That is quite a project and I commend you on your efforts.

I don't particularity like black, however, I would rather sell mine and buy a different color than take it down like you did to change the color.

Did you take all of your toys apart when you were a kid?
Yes i hade to R&R the fairing and replace the upper and lower cowell stay also replaced the windshield visor.and the upper fairing cover..I put it all together to make sure everything lines up and then took it appart for paint.....the reason i took it appart to paint is i always wanted an Orange bike..Honda only made that color in 02-03...I coul'nt find one that i liked or that the owner wasent asking a fortune for...so when the oppertunity came to purchase this bike i went for it....

Did you take all of your toys apart when you were a kid...TOO funny

Yes i did and i always put them back together again...My 92yo Mother still says that....:D

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Takes more guts than I have. Best of luck on the re-assembly puzzle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Omg

Takes more guts than I have. Best of luck on the re-assembly puzzle.
you mean i have to reassemble it........i thought it has a Inspector gadget.."Back together Button" .....lots of duct tape...and i just spent $150 on missing nuts bolts and plastic pins that i noticed was missing .....

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
While your at it, clean off that frame and all those other parts you now can see....:pLOL.. Also, since you have all that stuff off, you might as well change the air filter since thats such a pain to do....:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While your at it, clean off that frame and all those other parts you now can see....:pLOL.. Also, since you have all that stuff off, you might as well change the air filter since thats such a pain to do....:D

I plan on pressure washing and installing 2012 rear brakes,rear diff, and suspension plus front brakes and plugs air and oil filters..and any thing else i can do....It is verry dirty i was supprised but we never get to clean that part of the bike....

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I applaud your gumption sir! I looked a while back to see if I could find a thread anywhere on a total repaint but yours is the 1st I've seen. I had in the back of my head that in a couple of years if I still have the same wing, I may change colours. Please do keep us updated.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Glad you posted that Earnie...Always wanted to see the guts. Kinda like the stuff in Stretch Armstrong

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I applaud your gumption sir! I looked a while back to see if I could find a thread anywhere on a total repaint but yours is the 1st I've seen. I had in the back of my head that in a couple of years if I still have the same wing, I may change colours. Please do keep us updated.

Cheers,
Kerry
Someone on the forum covered their Wing in Black 3M vinyl material. Looked kind of cool when he finished..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's wrong with the original color ?????? I have an Alpine White and it suited me .
BECAUSE!!!!!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

HAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Cheers,
Kerry
Well after i get mine done

Ill make shure i clean the brush out real good and you can ride down to Boston and well fix you rite up

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I thought you HAD to take All the plastic off to replace the Air
Filer.:eek::D

Actually it sounds like a fun project.:)

·
Registered
60 Posts

Gotta love the red....:)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
1 - 20 of 96 Posts