Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve looked around and haven’t found anything specific to my issue. I have a 86’ aspencade with 50k miles. It sat for 8 years and I got it running and drive it for a bit. (4 days now) it was idling and then died randomly. I’ve checked spark, fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, master fuse, compression, battery. All checked out fine I’m stumped. When you try to start the starter gets it to 300 rpm or so and cranks just fine but I get no indication of it starting. If i missed something important in describing my issue please ask. -Thanks Austin

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Eric has you on the right track.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
133 Posts
Kill switch? Check it for continuity in RUN.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I suggest fully charging the battery and try again. Sometimes the starter will crank but the bike won't start because the battery is a little low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I put it on a trickle charger last night and this morning it still didn’t start. Later I tried and it started up. Could’ve been the battery. Also before it died I had increased the idle speed perhaps I set it so high it was flooding or something. Maybe a combination of things. I will keep an update on this thread of what happens because I still haven’t found a definite reason.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I agree. The root cause is still indeterminant but I think you are making progress and gaining good info.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
If I can't tell if it is a fuel issue or an electrical. Hit the starter while putting starter fluid into the carbs. If it starts, it is a carby (fuel) issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it worked yesterday and I’m the morning today but tonight it stopped working again. Could a high set idle speed cause it to flood? I’ll try the starting fluid truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope this is not your case but rust in the gas tank will do this. Water from ethanol gas sits at the bottom and can cause a problem with rust. Not to mention the rust problems they had that year with the kickstand and lower frame rails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts