Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me start by saying I am not looking for advice just opinions.
So no legal problems from what opinions I may get.
Ok if I said that right please don't be worried about your answers.
My ride is Stella a 1986 GL1220 Aspencade pretty much loaded. The sticker says load limit is 390#
I weigh about 260# Some might consider this a lot for someone my height I like to consider myself short according to the weight and height chart I shoud be about 7'3" not 5'7" but another story.
Which leaves 130# which my wife has got beat by some (no more info on that is available to put in print)
And I don't think she would me enjoy me looking around for someone else to ride on the back so to have someone to talk to while riding around.
(I never asked her but I don't think it would go over to good)
So anyway to wrap this up does anyone pay a lot of attention to the load limit?
Thanks erry

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I think you may be just fine if you two don't mind riding in the nude ! lol No ! Really , i have never looked at the load limit on our 1500se , so it must be ok ! I tip the scale at 370 # and the wife at around 140# , plus we pull the trailer loaded ! I have never had any issues with the bike . I have noticed alot of ( ROTUND ) bodies riding on the back of the trusty Goldwing's , actually if only the slim and fit were riding i think we would see very few bikes on the road and most of them would be LONE riders . The answer to your question is i do not pay attention to the capacity except in loading the trailer !! 6 ' 3 " , 370 # proud of it !!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The load limit is what the bike is designed to carry safely. That said, Honda seems to over-engineer their bikes, so I wouldn't let it get to me. Just pump up the rear to max air and a few extra pounds, air up the air shocks in the back (and front if you've got 'em) and ride. Know that you need to give it lots of extra stopping distance riding 2-up and take it easy around curves.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I don't remember what the rating was on my 1500, but the figure you mention soundes a bit low to me. The trunk and saddlebags combine to hold 60 lbs if memory serves so that leaves 330# for people and gear. Pretty sure the weight of fuel and fluids is not included in the payload as the bike is spec'd as 'curb weight' with full fuel and fluids. Off the top I don't even remember what the load rating on my 1800 is but I'll look it up when I get home from work. Either way, Honda is very conservative about things like that so until the bike squats all the way down on the suspension and squashes the tires (I'm exagerating just a tad here) I wouldn't be overly concerned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you may be just fine if you two don't mind riding in the nude ! lol
LOL I think I should at least keep a windbreaker on so to keep the number of accidents down from when people panic and start looking off to the side of the road.
We have both been on the bike for a short ride and with the shocks at about 3/4 to max we did not bottom on the bumps. And thanks for the reminder about stopping we used to ride 2up a few years (and a few pounds) ago.
And budoka I told the wife I forgot about the trunk and bags so no rumage sales stops along the way. lol
Thanks all
Jerry

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I asked the same question 6 months ago. We were going to be in trouble with that weight limit. The consences was that the tires are rated at something like 990lbs load and the wing come in at about 800lbs.
There was noted that you can put on better air shocks on that will help with the load
Most said don't worry about it, they are over the limit as well. We didn't go on a big diet and do ok. Mind you it wouldn't hurt us either. Eric

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had a few wings, and I have only used, "when I run out of ways to attach things" as a rule of when it is fully loaded. As others have said, keep tire pressure up and I max out the air shocks when needed to keep from bottoming out on normal roads. Never had a problem. I did pick up a rider outside of Tuscon once to take him to a gas station. He was at least 350lb, maybe more. When he sat down, it bottomed out even with the shocks at max. Thank God it was only about 5 miles to a gas station. It is hard to steer with the front wheel in the air. Well, almost. Just watch the balance in the curves with the extra weight and again as other said, allow for stopping distance to increase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts