Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the amount of weight that the 1500SE is able to carry?.The wife and I tip scale around 450lbs:)

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Blue streak,

I know mine is '95 SE & the manual says 408 lbs with rider/passenger/cargo & accessories.

Now having said that Wife & I are probably around 340lbs & we have packed pretty heavy at times including a luggage rack bag. I'm not so sure that people don't exceed the weight limit on a regular basis.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't want to put wife or I into danger or damaging bike which would indangers us too.Not to mention inocent bystanders.Is there anyway of improving capacity, best not ask wife to loose some.Thats not wise,she may say no to bike lol
;)

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
best not ask wife to loose some.Thats not wise,she may say no to bike lol
I knew you were a smart bike rider.

I don't know of anyway to increase cargo weight but I'm sure when Honda made these things they didn't expect people to put hitches on them & tow trailers either.

Maybe some of the other guys will chime in here & give their opinions.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
31 yrs to same Lovely Lady for me & I still occasionsly stick my foot in my mouth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup if I don't put it in she will and is more than willing to help too!.But I love her to death and don't want to hurt her in anyway.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I know people that weigh about 450 two up and pull a trailer with a 1500 and never had a problem, If you go by what Honda says for weight capacity you wouldn't even be able to carry luggage in the saddle bags. Check your tires for weight range.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats just it look at manual and 408lbs,but many do exceed reccomended capacity.I would imagine they have an allowance for extra when people have been doing this for years.Didn't think to check tires.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Bluestreak,

Just like Joe said you see people loaded up all over, and you should check tire pressure.

I also had to adjust shock air pressure when we were loaded real heavy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1500SE load capacity

Bluestreak62 the way I understand it is your tires have alot to do with the load carring capacity of your bike. You take the maxim load of front & rear tires per your brand of tires and add them together to come up with maxim capacity. If your Bike has Dunlop K177 tires maxim load would be 1453 lb. combined. Dunlop Elite III the maxim load would be 1592 lb. combined. Subtract your bikes weight from this and the remainder would be the amount you, your passenger, & load capacity could be at max tire pressure. I read this somewhere when looking for replacement tires for my old bike but can't remember where. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks will have to look at that,if deal is right then may have to change tires.I too have seen many riding wings and some other bikes that would be pushing the limits as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Honda lawyers probably helped come up with the numbers to keep them out of lawsuits. The engineers knew what these bikes would be used for,so i believe the safety is there.I too see both 1500's and 1800's well beyond the rating,and or also pulling trailers with who knows what in them.(as far as weight goes)If there was a problem,the media in the U.S. would be all over it!! As the others have said,make sure your tires can do the job,and inflation and air shock pressure very important for safety and comfort.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it's the old saying CYA,if you do that alot less to worry about but as most say ,for years their have been alot of wings that have been overloaded.You can look at folks with pickups bumpers dragging almost on the ground and this has gone on for years.Basically be reasonable,I think.Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I wouldn't go there with my wife. I just challanged her to a contest about loosing weight. I am sporting about 40 excess lbs myself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm 360 and my wife is (well it takes us over 500lbs easily) and I jump on my bikes without worry. I just always mke sure I have a good set of tires at the right pressure (41 rear, 40 front for me) and I'll go anywhere. If I can ride my grandsons XR50 (yes thats a sight to behold) I don't give a second thought to hopping on any wing. Ive seen a Honda Super Cub with a 55 gallon drum bolted to the bike full of cooking oil roaming the streets of Siagon for two years. It was a sight to behold.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think because American attorneys are so good and people are so quick to file suit that Honda makes sure that if for some unforseen reason a bike crashes that they will be out of the equation by setting the load limit low (for Americans it's low). When you get into Asia this kind of thing isn't the exception but the rule. Almost always bikes over in Asia are overloaded by a good bit. Notice that Grandpa is wearing the helmet instead of the little girl who will likely get thrown of the front like she was ejected from a F16 at the first big pothole Grandpa hits. Maybe that how Grandpa keeps riding.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rode my 83 Aspy, me and the wife 400lb, plus pulled a full pop up tent trailer and gear. 4 years and no proplem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My wife and fall in around that number as well,we know we are little larger than should be,but thats one of the reasons we went with GL1800,like most say use caution and believe me she will not let me do stupid things with out telling me,or love tapping me.But I love her she let me do something upto 4 yrs ago I swore never would I ride a bike!!.But I thank my buddy showing me the light and how great it is to ride and meet new folks,just like us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts