Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my new Goldwing (nav) Titanium next weekend in Searcy Ar. Cant wait. I am going to install a luggage rack but would like to know which brand is more functional vs. bling. I have a 2005 Royal Star Venture now and the rack on it is only rated for 10lb. Need some help. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If you are talking about the trunk-top luggage rack, that's about it. I have the Kuryakin rack and it's rated for 10#, the Honda rack isn't any more (nor should it be). The feet that support the rack are narrow, and the Kury wide stand-offs don't increase the capacity either. all that weight you put on the rack rests on the four little feet, screwed directly onto the plastic trunk lid. Overload it at your own peril. I put my rainsuit, bike cover and some other light items in mine and that's it. Don't forget the weight of the rack & bag itself either.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Budoka has got it right. Only light stuff that you need to get at in a hurry should go on there. I carry my raingear, hat, sweatshirt, camera, etc. Less wear and tear on the trunk and less chance of damage..

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
This one pictured here is popular for those who prefer function over form and price over prestige. Sorry, Two Wheel, no insult intended. She ain't pretty, but she's cheap. About $100.00 for the rack and bag :http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/29429_GL1800_Luggage_Rack_Deluxe_Luggage_Rack_Bag P.S. Order the additional " Star " washers with whichever model you choose to help distibute the weight load on the trunk posts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Ken it seems like you will get pretty much the same answer on this. Raingear & bike cover for me as well.

Chopin, Did you modify a handle from a Kelvinator for your trunk?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome

Ken, I can't add anything to the weight topic...it is covered. But I did want to welcome you the site. I, too, traded up from the Venture...so glad I did...it is a fantastic bike. You will enjoy it!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been running at least 20-25 lbs on my past two 1800's and my last two Ultra's with no problem.
www.americanmotorcycleaccessories.com
has wide feet for under your rack that spreads the load and don't forget to take out the inner liner on the wing when mounting the rack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts