Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took last week off and rode to NC and TN from Orlando. I have a 1999 GL1500 and I pull a Time Out camper with it. Wanted to go up and check out the Tail Of The Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. It was a beautiful ride! After camping for a few days at the Iron Horse Lodge near Robbinsville we went over to Chattanooga for a family reunion. Put 1900 miles on the bike in one week and got back safely.

Found out a couple things about my bike. In Atlanta we were stuck in traffic on a very hot day waiting for a wreck. In all the stop and go traffic my clutch got a workout and by the time we got moving steadily again it had completely gone out! I was worried about it but kept on going down the road. After 20 miles or so of cooling off it began to work again and I was relieved!! When we were riding the Dragon last Tuesday bike started cutting out and finally shut down. I waited for 4 hours for a tow truck to come and take it to the shop. Wheelers shop there in Robbinsville is an excellent shop and he checked it out. By the time I got the bike there it was working perfectly so he charged the battery and we went back to the Iron Horse. The next day I wanted to take it back to Wheelers to have it checked out and got part of the way there before it again shut off. Got a person to load it up on their trailer and help me get it back to the shop where they verified that the alternator had quit completely. I opted for the higher-output aftermarket alternator and got on my way again.

All in all we had a safe and beautiful ride through the mountains!!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Might want to have the fluid in the clutch flushed and bled. If you get enough moisture in the fluid, when it gets hot enough, the moisture turns to steam and the lever will have no effect.
Look at the site glass by the left hand grip if it is starting to get the color of tea or darker it's past time to have the system flushed. It should be done every couple years to avoid problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! I wondered if it was something like that. The rest of the trip I didn't have a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Probably wouldn't be a problem except for the heat in the stop and go traffic.
You want to get the dirty fluid out as the moisture can cause other problems, corrosion.
If you are going to have the clutch flushed might want to get the brakes done also. Same reasons.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Thankyou for your ride report. Photo tell a lot of the storys. Help me out with some photos. Eric

·
Registered
674 Posts
yeah plus one for the photos

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Stayed in Robbinsville a few months back. It was comforting to see the number of bike shops. I needed a small item replaced and although they didn't have an OEM item they had a close enough one to rig me for the ride home. Did you notice the used parts strewn along the side of the road on the Dragon ride?

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
That is a great area to ride in. It's been a few years since I've been and I need to plan on going back. Glad you had someone dependable to help you with your issues. Breaking down away from home is always trying.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
That's a great ride. I guess if your have break downs, thats the place to do it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts