Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who wears full leather gear when they ride? I wear a leather jacket half the time, but never have had chaps. I know leather should be worn for protection in case of an accident, but the black leather "biker" image was never my thing. After witnessing first hand a pair of mangled leather chaps and a slight tear in the jeans, I strongly am contemplating the purchase of chaps. The thougth of wearing leather on a hot day doesn't sound comfortable, but safety first. Anyone have an opinion on the best buy for protection and comfort?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who wears full leather gear when they ride? I wear a leather jacket half the time, but never have had chaps. I know leather should be worn for protection in case of an accident, but the black leather "biker" image was never my thing. After witnessing first hand a pair of mangled leather chaps and a slight tear in the jeans, I strongly am contemplating the purchase of chaps. The thougth of wearing leather on a hot day doesn't sound comfortable, but safety first. Anyone have an opinion on the best buy for protection and comfort?
You might want to consider purchasing a pair of denim hunting jeans from Cabelas. They have the protective fabric sewed over the jeans for hunters. I don't think they would provide as much protection as leather but its an improvement. They provide protection from water and wind.

I am with you, don't like to look like I am wearing the leather uniform.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wear a the mesh kevlar suit from Motoport. I may be very conservative in my gear, but I believe it is high quality and provides a decent chance of walking away from a wreck.

It's not cheap.

I have no affiliation. Their web address is http://www.motoport.com/Home

I actually had the chance to meet the owner and get fitted for my suit when I was in California for work back in '08. It was a good customer experience.

I am sure you will get lots of different views and opinions. See what people have to say and then make the choice thats right for you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Black leather eeew...

Ya Dave, I know what you mean about the black leather biker image.:p That's why I went with a textile jacket and mesh pants, which with mesh pants at least your but is covered as opposed to Chaps(which is actually pronounced "shaps" but you'll get alot of argument about that :rolleyes: ) And now with my yellow Wing I'm looking for a jacket with some yellow but not all yellow. I like a fair amount of color, that's why I wear a full face helmet with graffics. :D I know there are a lot of yellow jackets out there but I haven't made up my mind. Then I wonder about how yellow will age since I tend to keep stuff for a long time. My current Honda jacket is ten years old, or more, lost track. I lost the liner out of it a while back so that's a bummer. :( It's a red jacket to match my previous Wing and the red has worn off in some spots making it look dirty even though its not. So I guess I look like an experienced motorcyclist. ;) Ya, I'm a "motorcyclist" not a "Biker". A biker was a "1 percenter" back when I started riding some 38 years ago. Boy, time flies when your having fun eh?

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i wear a pair of mesh overpants

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I wear a leather jacket and chaps mainly when it's cold out.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I wore leather for 30 years. Always assumed it was warm and safe.

Last year, decided a t-shirt wasn't smart so bo't a tourmaster 3 weather mesh jacket.
Surprisingly, it was noticeably warmer in the winter than leather and pretty cool in summer and gives options of rainjacket.

Old habits die hard. Mesh isn't like wearing nothing but it is close and it has the amour.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Chaps are fine for comfort, but in the event of a get-off, your pretty exposed on the hips and buttocks...prime targets for serious road rash. Full leather pants with armour are the only 'safe' way compared to chaps. The newer textile products are often more abrasion resistant than leathers unles you go out and buy racing gear and less $$.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have worn leather every time I get on the bike even for a "short trip to the store"I wear leather pants and a Joe Rocket touring jacket I had an off 2 years ago and slid for about 20 feet and all I got was a small bruise and some scuffs on the pants. I have to agree with "Budoka" chaps are physically cooler but if you are on your butt or front your denim will wear through very quickly. Also, as a proffesional photographers who has been doing forensic photographs for 31 years I have seen my share of road rash...... IT AINT PRETTY and from what I have seen HURTS LIKE HELL when they clean out all the bits in your skin. I have not tried any of the textile pants so cannot comment.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I always wear a leather jacket or the old Hondaline Goldwing jacket. I don't have any decent chaps or any leather pants.

I came to the conclusion that broken vertebra and severed spinal cord is just as bad with or without skin protection. So I dress to be comfortable.
This here is what I wear no days!

Buzzy, that just ain't right!!

:eek::eek:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Jeebus Buzzy, u wuz one uv the Village People?:eek::D er, better than the other one though;)

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i have a pair of leather riding pants, cpx textile pants, and venture over pants. sheridan leather jacket, two joe rocket mesh jackets, and two tourmaster 3/4 jackets. theres a pair of chaps but i don't wear them much. i have synergy pants and jacket liners for cold weather riding. i have two ff, two 3/4. and a half helmet so i can be comfortable on most any ride

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have always worn a heavy leather jacket & chaps; At times..when you are not moving it can be uncomfortable,but, I figure road rash is W-A-Y more uncomfortable..:eek: I will have to look into some of the newer more comfortable mesh stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a pair of leather riding pants, cpx textile pants, and venture over pants. sheridan leather jacket, two joe rocket mesh jackets, and two tourmaster 3/4 jackets. theres a pair of chaps but i don't wear them much. i have synergy pants and jacket liners for cold weather riding. i have two ff, two 3/4. and a half helmet so i can be comfortable on most any ride
this line up of gear rivals any riders store, on line or not!
Nice job detdr :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts