Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought an 86 1200 aspencade checked oil and there is water in the oil ..also dripping oil from front engine cover seals.

the question here is this. could the engine cover front seals and water pump seals be leakng into the oil or would it be more likely the head gasket? spent 20 years as auto mechanic so im not too dumb
but never tore into a bike motor.

Bike seems to be running perfectly. rock steady idle at 980 rpm
runs smooth. not like a typical blown head gasket on a car would run.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

How much water are we talking? Is it possible it's just condensation?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Well, I'm no mechanic, but water in the oil isn't a good thing. As for the leaking/seepage, that's likely a seal or gasket thing and should also be attended too (obviously). I'm thinking if the bike starts and idles fine, there isn't lots of water in there, but water and internals don't go together well so troubleshoot it now to avoid corrosion inside the mill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
more than condensation ..also found out there is water in the cylinder. going to order the gaskets and do the top end tomorrow

on dip stick its about 1/2 quart over full

caught it as soon as it happened so unlikely theres any other damage i think

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Welcome to the forum jdoll3,
I'd check the mechanical seal at the water pump too.
Basically Goldwing engines are miniature car engines.
Get a service manual preferably factory, if not Clymer.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome from Vermont! Great site and sometimes good info!! Great bunch of peeps here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome Jdoll : lots and lots of good people here --most will recommend you use Honda head gaskets , seem to last longer--best to change out your timing belts now , you are in there anyway If you need a list aftermarket Timing Belts

GL1000 & GL1100 (requires 2)

Honda part #14400-371-04/14400-371-14
Gates #T274
NAPA #250274
Goodyear Gatorback #40274 (AutoZone & ??)

If you suspect your water pump , Check it and verify now, pulling it in January is better than July or August when you should be riding
Great first project on your goldwing
Cheers terry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timing belts were replaced at 60k. bike has 91k on it now . you make a good point at my local napa belts are only 15 bucks each might as well while im in there.

another question ..i have not torn this thing apart yet but ive seen some threads talking about the weep hole on the water pump.
if the pump is weeping where will i see that coolant? will it drip on the ground or is it confined? any one know?

·
Registered
16 Posts
water in the oil

Jdoll3
i would think from the weep hole the anti freeze would drip on the floor--if you are not sure which is leaking , why not try a leak down test
I had a head gasket let go on my 79 GL 1000, the bike ran well but it ran hot and eventually over heated I had bubbles in the rad , i wouldn't run your bike with water in the oil. If you have some good cheap stuff , pull the rad cap and start her up
Oil coming from the valve covers could be as simple as the gaskets wore and in need of refitting with new or it could be the cam seals . Oil it isn't necessarily leaking from where it is dripping
I have bought from Bike bandit in the past with no complaints and can't say i have heard of any problems with them Not sure what is in the kit you are thinking of buying

Terry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no oil leaking from valve covers ..its just a single drip coming from the engine front cover the one behind the oil filter and waterpump hose. again 30 bucks for kit so might as well do that also

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just ordered head set and the front cover waterpump seals
and oil filter i'll get timing belts locally. parts should be here in a few days i'll let ya all know how it goes

thanks for the input

John

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and good luck on your project. Hope you have a heated garage or you live in a warm climate to be working on the bike. Too cold up here to do much work on the Wing unless you have a heated garage (which I don't).... Let us know how you make out when you get her put back together..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nope no garage i'll just be Wingin it in the driveway...shameless pun...i live in florida still in the 60's here. want to get this done since i just bought it 4 days ago.

parts should be here monday should be back riding tuesday

1 - 14 of 14 Posts