Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems with water in the taillights? Everytime I wash the bike I notice that there is water and bubbles in back light fixture. (not sure what you call it.) Is this a problem and if so what should I do about it?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops

Second question, Is it possible to have two maps at the bottom because I want to include my Canadian map also?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes, I get water in the lights too. And I have a tip for you on how to get rid of the water and also how to dry the bike.

Ok, you guys ready for this? I get out the Echo Gas blower and I blast it till it is dry. I am not kidding! It takes me maybe 1-2 minutes to completely dry the bike and there are NO WATER SPOTS or streaks! This also blows the water out of the tail light lenses!
Just make sure you do NOT blow directly at the handlebar or fairing controls and DO NOT blow directly at the speakers.

All that is left after blowing is spay on a little Honda quick detail wax and immediately wipe it off and buff. It takes me less than 20 minutes to wash dry and wax my wing.

I am washing it when I get home from work, I will get a video up for you.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's not normal, I wash mine with a bucket of soapy water and a hose all the time and never had water in the tail light housing, If it's under warranty I would take it to the dealer for replacement, there has to be a crack in the lens somewhere. The water can cause trouble with the bulb sockets and the bulbs.
I also use a leaf blower to dry my bike after I wash it, keep away from the speakers but I do blow the switches dry, I have never had to replace a switch on any bike I have had in the past 25 years doing that.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I'm with Joe on this one. I've never had water in any of my Goldwings (98 GL1500 / 09 GL1800). Something is not sealed properly either on the lens or in the trunk/saddlebag. Water will eventually corrode the inside of the assembly.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm with Joe on this one. I've never had water in any of my Goldwings (98 GL1500 / 09 GL1800). Something is not sealed properly either on the lens or in the trunk/saddlebag. Water will eventually corrode the inside of the assembly.
No no, what he (I think) and my self mean is, water gets under the "lip" of the lens where it overlaps the side bags. It never gets inside the actual lights but you can see the water in that little 1/4'' area of plastic surrounding the lights. I am pretty sure that it what he means.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
No no, what he (I think) and my self mean is, water gets under the "lip" of the lens where it overlaps the side bags. It never gets inside the actual lights but you can see the water in that little 1/4'' area of plastic surrounding the lights. I am pretty sure that it what he means.
You may be right. His original post does say "water inside tail lights" though.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick reply boys. The location of the water is inside the plastic at the bottom. It is not near the light but it looks to me like it is inside the assembly. Buzzy makes me think that it is not inside and will have to check next time. Thanks again.

Now, what about getting two maps in the signature at bottom??????

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Anyone else have problems with water in the taillights? Everytime I wash the bike I notice that there is water and bubbles in back light fixture. (not sure what you call it.) Is this a problem and if so what should I do about it?
When I wash my bike with a hose and a bucket of soap and water I get water in the very bottom of the tail light assembly. Actually, it's not in the assembly, but where the trunk/ saddle bag and lights meet on the lower edge portion. I can suck it out of there with the thin edge of the sponge/ cloth. To me, it looks like the water is in the assembly, but in fact it's not. Well......?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Buzzy! Still carrying on as usual here. Trying to help some and just getting status points from others. Use and help !!!!!!!
Ah come on Chop, I'm just trying to ruffle your feathers. If it makes you feel any better, I will find some way to publicly humiliate my self before the day is done!:D

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe if you two could stop playing with each other you might be able to help me with my map problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts