Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to ride the Dragon today for the first time on my 08 Wing. I have done it before on my 1200 so I needed another picture of my new bike so I set out this morning and did about 650 odometer miles. Good ride...REALLY HOT the temp said 100 for a bit but averaged about 97.
So anyway I get ready to head home and left Deals Gap store and went north and in front of me was a 1200 wing and I thought cool I can follow him and see how he does. Well not to far from Deals Gap we were in a left hander and he was half way through when he just sat up and went right off the rode. He rode in the ditch and I thought HOLLY SHEEP DIP :eek: this guy is going to make it out of the ditch. Once he made it out of the ditch he kinda high sided and he bounced off the bike and slid through the gavel and pavement. Hats off to Joe Rocket. He was wearing the pants and jacket and didnt get any road rash. Hats off to Honda. He broke his mirrors but I think he was able to ride her home without much or any more damage. It was HORRIBLE to see this and I am glad he was not hurt any worse than he appeared. I dont even know his name and didnt ask, WHY did you sit up in the turn?
After I left him a semi was coming the same direction I went and I managed to get in front of it before he got pass me. Why would anyone drive a semi on that road?
The wing eats asphalt and S&%*s mile markers. What a machine!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
If you are a truck driver going to or leaving Knoxville, 129 looks like a reasonable short cut. Highway maps don't show the detail at all.
There are only 2 main highways heading southeast, I-40 and 441 that both have sliding rock problems. Couple of years ago, they were both closed and 129 was the only alternative for a few days. The dragon website says that about 2 cross it per day.

If you saw a truck, you saw a driver who was a newbie that probably won't do it again.

Sorry to hear about the other rider. Glad he was smart enough to use ATGATT. I just rode the dragon a couple of weeks ago and was thinking I should have gotten the armored pants but we rode in the rain and behind a lot of slow pokes after it stopped. No scraped pegs by anyone that day.:mad:

BTW, I have to go back before end of the riding season. I will give you a shout, maybe we can ride it together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rode the dragon last Thursday! Had a great time........spent toooo much on souveneirs at the tail of the dragon. I love the area and will make plans to return and ride the devil's triangle, the skyway, etc. Lots of nice roads. Had a good time at the Goldwing National Event known as Wing Ding.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to give it a shot. I will let you know up front my schedule absolutely SUCKS! but I will really try. Just gotta give me a couple of days (more like 2 weeks) if we can come up with a date and I tell you I will be there( I want to ride the Cherohala Skyway again hopefully we can squeeze that in).....Its a done deal. Also I am not really a peg scraping kind of fellow. My bike is WAY more capable than I am able to push her. I do not mind bringing up the rear at all :D I make faces like :eek: when I scrape LOL!
Today I noticed signs saying lots of switch backs and you should choose another route and even saying "this is the last place to turn around." Of course I was coming from Knoxville and the truck was going north.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
The big problem when people drive the twisties is they drive over their ability. You don't have to ride like a bat out of hell to enjoy a road.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ram hit it right on the head, it 's peeps doing what they're not capable of that causes them to bin it whether it's the Gap, Mulholland Drive or wherever. About 99% of the bikes on the road are far more capable than their riders are, it's the human factor that results in crashes, not the machine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ram hit it right on the head, it 's peeps doing what they're not capable of that causes them to bin it whether it's the Gap, Mulholland Drive or wherever. About 99% of the bikes on the road are far more capable than their riders are, it's the human factor that results in crashes, not the machine.
I agree completely on the bikes capabilities vs the riders. Today's bikes are extremely powerful and advanced vs what we had in the past - should make for safer riding when the rider rides within his/her capabilities. The problem is guys shoot for the adrenaline rush of pushing to the edge, and then without the skill level they panic and crash.

I was talking to a sport bike rider a week or so ago, and she said she had broke off of a ride because the "noobs" rode crazy. Too fast, wheelies at 60+, and too close to each other without any real riding experience. The only smart thing most did was their riding gear - maybe it made them feel bulletproof though.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I agree it is a fun section of road. I was on it a few years ago on the Yamaha and loved it. I plan on going back in a couple years on the Wing and give it a try. Although I really liked Hwy 209 from near Maggie Valley up to Hot Springs better. Just as good twists and turns with none of the traffic.

I also tend to ride my own ride and not push beyond what I can handle. I ride faster than some and slower than most but I’m there to enjoy MY ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
I also tend to ride my own ride and not push beyond what I can handle. I ride faster than some and slower than most but I’m there to enjoy MY ride.

And you are here to tell about it. I also don't tend to push the capabilities of the machine. I did it once and the bike did great, but I'd much rather take leisurely rides and enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't ridden the tail yet but I plan to and I will tell you up front that I will drive it I will stay within my capabilities and not the bikes because at 67 I want the enjoyment and no pain. When I was in my 30's I raced dirt bikes and there was enough pain to go around to everyone as we tried to push the envelope and usually failed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The most common cause of motorcycle crashes is the failure of the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
Enjoy the road within your limits. I haven't scraped a peg in forever, and I still enjoy every moment, of every ride.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I agree with all responses that too many riders go beyond their abilities............on the other hand,........................I saw the very same thing happen on a poker run. In a curve about 5 bikes up, he didn't lean, just went straight off over a hill. Six months in rehab.

He wasn't going fast. a Bumble bee hit him square in the chest. It was so big and hit so hard, he looked down to see what hit him. It took his attention off the road for about 2 seconds and off he went.

All your points are valid, my point is we are all crazy to be out here and some accidents aren't self inflicted by stupidity. sometimes................ship happens.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Or it could be like my son that panicked coming into the corner and got a fist full of brakes which then stands the bike up. When the bikes stands up it goes straight ahead. I know that we tend to be quite experienced riders here and know that trailling [shutting the throttle] and looking around the corner will help you get through the corner. My son didn't do that and he wasn't really going that fast. The riding course did help him a lot. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
All i can say is if anyone has the need for speed , they don't need to be behind me ! I am not gonna skin myself or my baby if i can avoid it ! I bought my Wing to enjoy not send it to a junkyard !!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I might ride the dragon but it wouldnt be my first pick. It just sounds like to much concentration to be fun. Me, i like holding 65- 70 on a state hiway without all the curves. West NC is very beautiful, for sure.

Here in Arizona all you twistie fans should ride from Alpine to Clifton, about 100 miles of turns and more turns. Here and there are spectacular views! The hiway used to be 666 but the simpletons kept stealing the signs and the number was changed. It is easy to find in the east central part of the state.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I rode the dragon many times from the late 70's to 2004. I won't ride it any more. The last time I rode, during the week, it was wall to wall idiots going both ways. I had just pulled off at a view point at a curve and before I could dismount I saw 4 BMW sedans speed past going the other way fully in my lane and almost bumper to bumper. Between the squids and cage idiots it's simply not worth it. I'd rather ride the sweepers on the cherohala(sp?). There is less traffic and idiots trying to be ricky racer.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Hey Crownfire, when did you get the '10? Don't remember you had that late model. Do you and the copilot ever get down this way? Give me a holler and we could meet you.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
why would a truck driver take his rig on the dragon? truck drivers like having fun too :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
M6, we had a choice during our recent Ireland trip of riding Wicklow Gap, one of the most popular roads in Ireland for motorcyclists. It was a weekend and given the volume of tour busses, squids (they call 'em road warrioirs over there), and caravans/motorhomes,
we chose to let my mates tour us around some of the quieter more "typical Irish" countryside rather than the routes inhabited by the squidly Colin Edwards wannabes:eek:. Really, the roads are just as twisty and fun, but far less stupidity to contend with.:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts