Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
'tis the season to be ever watchful for the forest rats and swamp donkeys!:eek:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Those are some startling statistics!! I have deer whistles on my ride they seem to work so far!! At least i havent hit one yet!!OHH AND BY THE WAY A GENEROUS MAN FROM HERE SENT ME A GREMLIN BELL !!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
'tis the season to be ever watchful for the forest rats and swamp donkeys!:eek:
Ok, since I am a gluten for punishment,

Where do I find a swamp donkey whistle? :confused:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Kmart has them or any auto parts store!!! I have mine mounted on the lower fairing vents!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I also saw some chrome finish ones on chrome world site!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
The best advise I heard was, "don't overdrive your headlights".
Statitically, November and December/dawn and sunset are most dangerous times.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Actually you can make them. Take a good size piece of birch bark and shape it into a cone with a small open end and a large opening at the other . Then you hold it up to your lips and make a grunting noise (ungh, ungh;bull) or a bawling sound (maaaawwwwww;cow). No wait that's for calling them in towards you:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Actually you can make them. Take a good size piece of birch bark and shape it into a cone with a small open end and a large opening at the other . Then you hold it up to your lips and make a grunting noise (ungh, ungh;bull) or a bawling sound (maaaawwwwww;cow). No wait that's for calling them in towards you:rolleyes:

I don't get it. What else is deer whistle suppossed to do?

As I have 2 bikes and only 1 piece of birch bark, I am going to make 1 whistle and duct tape it to my helmet.

(not sure if it attracts or chases the deer away but I am pretty sure this will be a chick repellent tho)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Surely someone from West Virginia can defend itself from the evil one.

Oops, my bad, it is rutting season.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Supposedly the whistles(which you cant hear) send out a high frequency noise that scares them!! Like i said i have not encountered a deer yet but is it because of the addition to the bike or just luck??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have a Harley friend who was knocked off his ride at highway speeds after a deer blind-sided him. Spent 6 months recovering. He never knew what hit him...witnesses told the story.

Deer whistles: We sell that at my NAPA store. Never used them. Must use two, they come in pairs. They allegedly act like a dog whistle. Over 30 MPH they make a noise that animals can hear, or so the legend goes...

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think the deer can hear them over the noise of a Harley?? Interesting.....

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Oh deer ! My state is 1 in 102 chance. But bordering me is West Virginia at 1 in 42. That doesn't surprise me about West Virginia, where breeding is a state past time.
past time/passtime? Pretty big difference in the two LOL. Numbers suggest 'past' though hehe.
l2r, I'm not sure of the effectiveness of the whistles on the bikes, instructions on the packages say they need to be a fair distance apart laterally and have a full foot in front and behind them (no obstructions) to get the proper airflow along with being very level. They appear to work very well on regular two way traffic rodsways, but decrease in effectiveness on multilane highways and superslabs. Just what I've heard, but I did have a set on my 3/4 ton and I've never hit anything (animate or otherwise) with it, so I guess they do work:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
sorry, not a believer in deer whistles.
I am not saying they don't work but I am not promoting that they do. I have not seen a study to suggest they work or a discount offered by an insurance company if one is one your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Just how many whistles does one need anyway.

I was going thru a sweeping curve last fall and was hit head on by a bird. (left hand).

I didn't like the bird thing: don't want to hit a deer but I am more fearful of bread trucks. I've had 2 close encounters with them. Who sells bread truck whistles and what isle are they on?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The whisltes are recommended in pairs. As for the bread trucks, try an Army Surplus and pick yourself up a used MPV to run as a blocker for you and the bike. Slows you down a mite, but sure clears out them Wonder Haulers!

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Since the last month I've been all over Sault Ste Marie, Wawa, Timmins, etc. last month. Also all over the Ottawa Valley this past weekend a bit of it in the past weekend. Yes we did see 2 deer and yes it's scary to hit one. I think of it constantly, more so at dawn.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Read an article in a hunting magazine that went pretty in depth on the "deer whistles." They didnt like them. They said has "no" effect that they could prove. They had a stretch of road in a park where they knew there were deer. They used instruments to pick up the sound and on and on...Bottom line they didnt like them. I had them on my 1200 because they were already on there and rode in FL with deer with in feet of me and they showed no fear. Oh well ride safe and ride like your invisible, doesn't matter who's fault it is it is still gonna hurt!
Just thought of this....If you wear "hunter orange," that seems to scare them away for me! All you see is the white tail haulin butt away...LOL!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts