Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on the 1200 forum too, but thought I would put it here too.

I was reading the post about washing a Goldwing, and now have issues. This got me to wondering. I had a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic for 4 years, and never took any precautions when I washed it. I always washed it with the hose, and then used a blow gun at work to dry it. Never had a problem. Some of you talked about using pledge to clean your bike. :shock: I always took pride in my old bike, but there were still times when it got pretty dang dirty, and using pledge on it was not an option. So my question is, are you saying never to use a hose on thee Goldwing? I am really having a hard time grasping this.

So whats every ones thoughts on this? Maybe I am just letting it get too dirty in between washings, but I am really having a hard time believing I can get it clean without using soapy water and a hose.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have always used a hose and a bucket of water to wash my Gold Wing. I use a leaf blower to dry it, keeping away from the speakers with the blower. It's a touring bike, water will not hurt it. I also wash my concours the same way

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use soap and water when it gets really dirty, a spray cleaner in between as needed. I try not to get a lot of water up near the speakers and instrument cluster, but other than that, what Joe said. It's a touring bike - if a little water bothered it it wouldn't be much good for touring.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Have washed my bike with a hose and soapy water many times, never a problem. Even went to a car wash (on way home from fl) to get love bugs off. Like everybody else, What good is it if it can not get wet?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
light soap and water to wash. i only use pledge to prevent rust during the winter months

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've gone so far as to lay my bike over on its side at a car wash and pressure wash the underside (1200 back in the show&shine days) and still use the car wash to get rid of the furry coating of our Ablerta bugs when they get thick after a long run. I much prefer the gentle garden hose and Mr Clean car wash attachment or a bucket and sponge, but necessity dictates sometimes. Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish is a good buff after it all too. I'll often let wet towels with pump hand soap sit and soak the windshield after riding to work if the bugs get bad, makes 'em easy to get off if there aren't too many of them.

Reactions: IBALEE

·
Registered
77 Posts
the one main thing that is important here is TO EACH HIS OWN!!!! but just to add my opinion, i have owned a 93 bought brand new in 93, and an 03, bought brand new in 03, which i currently own, and not one time, since 1993, have i EVER used a hose with regular pressure, or a high pressure in a car wash, to wash either one of them! the reason why, is a buddy of mine, who bought a new to him, 1986, goldwing, with lights from front to back, stereo, digitals, everything, which all worked perfectly, at sight of sale. of course, wanting to make it his own, when we got it home to his house, OUT COMES THE SOAPPY BUCKET OF WATER, AND THE HOSE! well needless to say, you all know what happened next dont you? the soap, and water pressure, totally obliterated many of the lighted strands of lights, got into the digitals, from washing the windshield, and needless to say, we both wished we would have never brought out the hose. so after a quick jump into the shed to get the leaf blower, and hair dryer, and frantically drying everything we could, a few of the lights and digitals came back. but a BIG LESSON was learned that day! rain water, and water on the street from rain, is one thing, NO HIGH PRESSURE! but water from a hose, totally another story! and both of my wings have had lights galore, electrics out the wassu!!!! so from top to bottom, front to back, its pledge, or honda spray, for me. now true, im sure, an everyday normal wing, with just stock options, and no new electrics, like ring of fire, digital lizard lights, etc, a hose with a bucket of water will offer no bad ill effects! but one with TOO MANY ELECTRICS, I WILL KEEP THE SOAP AND WATER AWAY FROM IT! but as i said in the beginning, TO EACH HIS OWN!!!! here why i dont do the hose thing:

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pledge and a micro cloth almost exclusively. Some days jack it up and clean the rims with soap and water. Do it more with the W/W's on the Road Star than the Wing.

That trailer you see in the pic was nasty dirty when I went to pick it up. I had to wait for the owner to come back before I could take it, so while I was waiting I got out the Pledge and the soft cloth and went to work on it. In no time it was looking brand new. I amazed myself at how good it looked.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Soap and water when it's dirty, And use some stuff call the Solution in a spray bottle on the road when the bike gets dirty. When all it needs is a dusting I use a Swifter duster
I got from my wife.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
60 Posts
Soap and water on my 91. NO problems and yes I have a few extra lights. Still no problems. Its been washed more times than I can count. Only use a fine a mist as I can out of the hose nozzle. What was said...it's a touring bike, it will get wet, and it needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have always used a Meguires Wash and Wax, rinse good then a Leaf Blower, been using that method for years, drying with a rag either the rag has something on it or it picks up some grit that you missed when you washed the bike and that leaves scratches, I had a Street Rod and learned this trick very early on in that game.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me soap and water when very dirty and this is rare. I use Lucas Slick Mist spray and micro fiber after almost every ride usualy no need for water. I use a spray called Bike Spirts for bugs on windshield etc. when on the road

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
One my 79, 82, and now with my 2000 (with tons of lights) a little car wash soap in a bucket, then hosing it down with no problems to date. I do not go crazy on the pressure, and don't purposely hit the electrical. Most of the time I will give it a little ride in the neighborhood, then a real chamois to dry it. I on occasion will use my leaf blower but find it load and slower then the other method I use.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stop at the car wash only rarely, to get bugs off. When traveling I wait until morning to clean the windshield after the bike has been sitting out all night and bugs soften up. Most washing is done at home with sponge and bucket and a cap full of blue car wash, then towel dried. I know lots of people clean dirt off bikes w/o water, but that seems too likely to put fine scratches in the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
pledge is a cleaner with no wax. It's chemical base show it to be what some other expensive bike cleaners are. Go check the label or google the articles. What I like is that pledge sticks to the surface and that gives bug guts and other gunk time to soften. That helps to keep from rubbing hard on the gunk which in turn leaves scratches in the plastic or windshield. Their might be better but that's why I like it along with it is readily available.

I have never washed my bike. I clean it with pledge and finish with windex on the glass and chrome after everything is cool.
I don't keep it spotless but I do it fairly often so it only takes 5 minutes.

I would not use compressed air on any vehicle. That isn't drying anything, it is moving water to another place and doing it forcefully in places where your towel or rain never reaches. Might not hurt but it can't help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
honda line Spray Cleaner and Polish

Haven't had the need yet to wash the '05 Wing since I bought it late in the season and haven't ridden much. But, with the '98 Magna I bought a couple of cans of the Honda Line Spray cleaner and Polish (Black can with Red and White printing), works as a great cleaner. Use it for detailing when I am on the road. Plan on using it for the Wing as well, have a can in the trunk already.

I have used soap and water for the road grime especially underneath. Simi Chrome polish on the wheels look fantastic, even on the aluminum wheels on the Magna. Made them almost look chrome.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
soap and water but once in a while I use my power washer to get the rims clean...I also use my mechanic seat to move around the bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts