Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok time to let this cat out of the bag

anybody remember this bike? I know Fossil and EFINREF do, they were the previous owners. And now it is my turn to wrench on this 1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S. Got plenty of plans but first on the list is get it out of 6th gear and fix the shifter.

Had a great day with Mark who was kind enough to haul me to Phils place to pick it up. After a little small talk and walk around Phil fired it up and got my heart racing ready to ride it, then we loaded it up and went for a great lunch then shook hands and split ways.

now it is at it's new home and I am about to start reading the shop manual to figure out how to attack this project and get it ready to roll for the September meet n greet.

more pics to follow as I progress, and Mark a few pics to prove we were at Casa De Ref.

·
Super Moderator
28,152 Posts
A very capable machine in the hands of a very capable mechanic. It is with beaming pride that I was able to play a part in this transition.

It's fantastic that this machine is now with it's third GWOF owner.

:motorbike2::motorbike2::motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
It's fantastic that this machine is now with it's third GWOF owner.

:motorbike2::motorbike2::motorbike2:
That is pretty cool , keep it in the family

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
Well, alright, alright!:wink2: Figured out where you'll stick the turbo-charger yet, Bud?

Reactions: Hossdawg

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope but I think iuunderstand how to fix it now, just need time to work on it. Gotta go into to work tomorrow then go to the junk yard and get a replacement AC compressor for Subzila to get it back up and running then will do a quick tear down on the shifter linkage and inspect and order parts. Think I will fix it first and ride it then take it all apart to paint and fix the little stuff I have seen so far.

Time to start a list and build plan. .....

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
Nope but I think iuunderstand how to fix it now, just need time to work on it. Gotta go into to work tomorrow then go to the junk yard and get a replacement AC compressor for Subzila to get it back up and running then will do a quick tear down on the shifter linkage and inspect and order parts. Think I will fix it first and ride it then take it all apart to paint and fix the little stuff I have seen so far.

Time to start a list and build plan. .....
Let's see: (1) ported & polished intake and exhaust, (2) cylinders honed so much over and fresh rings, (3) turbo-charger (Oh, you know he will!) with some funky fuel injection system, and 4) high-flow badass exhaust system, for a first guess.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Another project in the making. good luck Dustin.

·
Super Moderator
14,256 Posts
You forgot lights. It'll need an upgrade in the lighting and a few LED's.........

Yeah, I found out the other day. Hey Pete, I've been to Ref's and didn't get shot!

I'll get some of my pictures off the camera and post.

·
Super Moderator
14,256 Posts
Well, didn't get hardly any pictures. Go figure. I only have two.

First one; The two schemers, Dustin and Phil. Bill should be in there too as he also knew the whole time.

Second one; Phil’s bat cave.

At least it is proof we were there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
Well, didn't get hardly any pictures. Go figure. I only have two.

First one; The two schemers, Dustin and Phil. Bill should be in there too as he also knew the whole time.

Second one; Phil’s bat cave.

At least it is proof we were there.

Hey Dustin! Given your recent history, I wouldn't skimp on THIS accessory for that Nighthawk!:surprise:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a few min before work this morning so started a little bit of breaking it down to see what I am working with.

oh and I already found a new headlight upgrade, going full LED this time.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I call dibs on the next person who buys it

Reactions: fossil92

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
I thought it had a lower fairing on it. Now I see it on the floor. It has wing bones on it, if I remember correctly.

·
Super Moderator
28,152 Posts
I thought it had a lower fairing on it. Now I see it on the floor. It has wing bones on it, if I remember correctly.
Yes and he has new ones for the new paint scheme also.

;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
You forgot lights. It'll need an upgrade in the lighting and a few LED's.........

Yeah, I found out the other day. Hey Pete, I've been to Ref's and didn't get shot!

I'll get some of my pictures off the camera and post.
THAT was my first question coming your way.

·
Super Moderator
15,144 Posts
I said what it was in the other thread, I just didn't know you were getting it form phil

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Projects, projects, projects. So many projects, so little time. At least, they can be done in stages. A project doesn't have to be finished to take to a gathering. But then, we all know, neither of these will ever be completely "finished".

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Dustin, I have to admit, I was a bit sad and then absolutely excited. I can't wait to see what you can do with that wonderful machine.
The Nighthawk will carry some of my favorite memories:
First - My flight to Pa. to see my dear friends and spend the night in the Aussie Suite.
Second - My 783 mile, problem free ride back to Alabama in one day.
Third - Leading the pack as the Aussie's came to Alabama and rode my Wing.
Finally - The transaction within the GWOF family to get Dustin back on two wheels.
I will always consider the Nighthawk in the same reverence as Elvis's Cadillac.

Now, quit reading and get the old girl back on the road. Shiloh Rd. is calling.

Reactions: fossil92
1 - 20 of 282 Posts