Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/launch?iso=20180525T05&p0=515&font=cursive

So some of you have picked up on the chatter that Mark and I are planning to take the long way around to the Missouri M&G, 15 days 21 US states and 5 CA provinces before we arrive in Pomme de Terre Lake, MO. After that we pick up one more state for the trip and then home, to finish off a 17 day 7000 mile adventure.

The states are as follows in order with the current route:
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Delaware
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
New Brunswick, CA
Nova Scotia, CA
Prince Edward Island, CA
Quebec, CA
Ontario, CA
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas

The current route which is about the 5th change so far (we keep finding better places to see and do) takes us due East from Jackson MS to Montgomery AL on to Macon GA ( nope not going through Atlanta). We then start to slowly turn North east to Columbia SC and end the day near Raleigh NC.

The second day takes us through Norfolk and across the Chesapeake Bay up through Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and then jog back a little North West for a stop at Valley Forge and ending the day in a little place called Frackville PA. I have heard there are some really good eats there and know the people are awesome so will spend the next day sightseeing and eating.

From Frackville we again head East on I84 with a hook through the top of RI the back to the NW to pick up I95 as we enter Vermont and up to Bradford where we jump on to 116 East then Hwy 2 and just across the border of Maine in the White Mountain National Forest to camp for the night.

The next few days are action packed as we head to Mahone Bay NS to camp and sight see light houses and Oak Island, then up to the top of NS to hit the Cabot trail and back down to take a Ferry over to PE Island, then NE again through NB camping up in Gaspe. Then we finally start heading west after 10 days on the road, but first another Ferry to jump across the St. Lawrence river into Saguenay QB then north again on Hwy 167 and 113 East and make our way to Moonbeam ON.

The last leg of the trip takes us through Thunder Bay before we hit the US again, and from there it is south through Duluth and St. Paul with a stop over at the M&G then back home.

Still a lot of planning and such but so far I think the route and lodging/camping is set and planned. Mark is along so there will be pics:grin2:

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Wow! Clearly a lot of planning going into this. I will be celebrating a granddaughter's birthday over the dates of this M&G. Y'all have a lot of fun, and I know you will!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wow what a trip! I'm extremely envious! Just remember you can't carry coming into Canada....unless it's a bologna sandwich. Those are allowed.
Safe trip.
Strat

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hope I can do a trip like that soon. Work always getting in the way of life ?

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Epic ride! Y'all know I've had the atlas out on this ride. Sure looking forward to it. I think it may spawn another GWOF hat idea.

I've already got the dates down on the work calendar and going to inform the Incident Command Team (Fire) of the dates I'm not available. Dustin didn't say but we've already added one day to the trip, up to 17 days now. Keeps getting more epic all the time. We have a few lighthouses and things to see but mostly experiencing the roads along the way.

Yep, we know we will have to leave the firearms at home. It's okay, I'll bet I can outrun Dustin.....>:)

I'll finish all the States and Provinces on the east side of the Mississippi River. The four New England States I've never been to before, (on a bike or not) not to mention all of that side of Canada east of Ontario.

Dustin, my son pointed out to me that you can ride to France from near there. From Newfoundland you can catch a ferry to St. Pierre and Miquelon Islands which are part of France. Another epic trip idea!

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I'll wave as you ride through Alabama......Hopefully, I will catch your tired "Epic Asses" in Missouri.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Well looks like you have a great start on your plans. I say that because I'm sure it will change yet again the more you find things.

Frackville awaits your arrival whenever it may be and also will accompany your departure. We looked at riding to France as well Mark but it would have taken a small feat in the trip plans we already had, the same with getting out the Cabot Trail and back. That's a hike to haul out there. I also looked at picking up Newfie if we did get out the trail but the 6 or so hour ferry ride put the fork in that.

Anywho..........Great Trip for sure and wish we could ride along.

:photos::photos::photos:

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Dudes wish I was riding with ya. Y'all camping out on this adventure? If so, the skeeders in Ontario have been know to carry off small dome tents with their occupants. Just sayin. Spent my first honeymoon camping there. :wink2: Might invest in a mesh head net.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Dudes wish I was riding with ya. Y'all camping out on this adventure? If so, the skeeders in Ontario have been know to carry off small dome tents with their occupants. Just sayin. Spent my first honeymoon camping there. :wink2: Might invest in a mesh head net.
Mostly camping with motels every so often. I know about the bugs (black flies are far worse than mosquitos) in the north country as I went to forestry summer camp in the UP of Michigan. I'm going to invest in good bug spray and long sleeve shirts.

We’re only 84 miles from Raleigh and got plenty of room & food for you both. You’re more than welcome, also!
Thanks, Dustin has a friend he wants to see and hopefully he will put up with me too. I need to get to your piece of North Carolina and along the coast one day. Maybe a 2019 meet-n-greet? Or that area might be my retirement gift to myself in 2020 or 2021.

Reactions: George Henderson

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I ordered a set of tires Monday and have a change of oil & filer on the shelf. Not sure if I'm going to bother about air filter, have to see when the last time it was changed. I sent you an email with some information on Prince Edward Island.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep got the email will look that over tomorrow.

Be putting parts on order very soon myself, front tire, wheel bearings all around, brakes all around, can clean my air filter anytime takes about 10 seconds to remove it. Oil and filter are on the list as well, already fixed my side stand, and might pull the upper front fairing off to fix the crack by the mirror. Not real sure what all i will get in to other than that.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I would like to come by for a clutch fluid flush. Other than that I'll be getting to my stuff over the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
We are sure looking forward to you guys stopping by the M&G here in Stockton Missouri.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I'm going to invest in good bug spray and long sleeve shirts.
Mosquito netting and floors was a great upgrade with modern tents. I can remember the pup tents from scouts back in the fifties. God forbid if you touched the heavy canvas during a rain storm. And skeeters...you swatted them until you fell asleep.They now have portable foggers too. Geez, they're making it too easy for the outdoor adventurer. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like to come by for a clutch fluid flush. Other than that I'll be getting to my stuff over the next few weeks.
for sure we can set up a day to do that, did my clutch sunday and will do brake flush when I do front tire.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
We are sure looking forward to you guys stopping by the M&G here in Stockton Missouri.
Stopping by? Stockton is the destination for this ride! We just want to make sure we get the prize for most miles ridden to the Meet-n-Greet. Nova Scotia is on the way to Missouri, isn't it?

Maybe we shouldn't have taken that right turn at Albuquerque.......

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put in my paperwork today to notify Security I will be leaving the country, so all clear now, just got to prep the bike.

Route change set for the first 2 days and new plan in place to bypass potential Memorial Day traffic nightmares in Delaware and NJ, but the new plan has us riding the Blue Ridge Parkway so good trade.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Checked my passport, I'm good for a couple more years. Still have to get with the cell phone provider about coverage in Canada. Tires are sitting by the front door and checked with Got Gear, I'll drop it off Wednesday for tire change. Need to dig out my tent and sleeping bag. You think we want a small stove to make coffee? Or just head out early and find breakfast?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts