Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware, Had my 2008 level 2 bike lowered @ 7000 miles by the Honda dealer using the Lowering Wing Product bracket. At 10,500 miles I had the 12,000 mile service done early because of a long trip I was about to take. The dealer informed me that my head bearings should and needed be replaced. I thought the head bearing issue was about the 35,000 to 40,000 mile range problem. I have the extended warranty and figured it would be covered at such low miles. Wrong, Honda said I changed the suspension of the bike and they would not cover it. I'm not an engineer but how does lowering the rear 1" have any bearing on the steering head particuarly after only 2500 miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure about in your state, however, in California 'any modifications' DO NOT automatically mean that Honda can invalidate the warranty. They must show, specifically, how the modification caused the issue. You may need to sue in small claims court-real easy to do.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Been though this so many times!!!!!!!
Bottom line for you and the other posters
Doesn't matter what state your in, doesn't matter how you interpret the MM law, following is the best I can explain this issue.
Any modification made or accessory added that is not approved by the vehicle manufacturer and not installed by an authorized tech at an authorized dealership of that manufacturer MAY result in a denial of warranty coverage for a claim in which the manufacturer determines said mod or accessory could be blamed for the failure.
This should not void the entire warranty.
A perfect example is a trike conversion. In most cases, if the manufacturer becomes aware the bike has been "triked", if you have a drive train failure, warranty coverage will be denied.
Also, if you challenge a denial, it will be up to you to prove the mod or unapproved accessory do not cause the failure.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Well said tf. Let me add to this first as a Honda Dealer. Lowering the rear of your bike does change the steering geometry of the bike since the angle of the steering head is designed and manufactured for less rake and trail than what lowering the rear end an inch creates (more rake and trail). Lowering also alters the ride and handling somewhat, although sometimes not a noticeable amount in all situations.
Now as a rider, let's just say that (I don't know that you've had the bike lowered all that long) there may have been some pre-mature wear on your head bearings. Without the lowering bracket, all would be good. Solution: can you return your bike to stock configuration without spending more time and money than it would cost to replace the head bearings and pay for them? If it's worth your while to remove the bracket and take it to another dealer, they may replace your worn head bearings on a warranty claim.
Another dealer may also tell you that there is nothing wrong with the bearings and they just need to be re-torqued. Many riders also opt for replacing the stock bearings with tapered roller bearings if they need replacing anyway; again not a warranty applicable fix. So in a nutshell, you have a decision or two to make. Sorry, just being honest with you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments. I understand Honda's position regarding modifications. They have no control on the quality of the aftermarket part or who is installing it. I knew I would be replacing the head bearings eventually just not so soon. The dealer did install tapered rollar bearings and said they will last. Maybe Honda should take note.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
It would be nice if OEMs could do all the 'nice' things we do after we have our rides for a time: roller bearings, backrests, performance exhausts, etc. The trouble is, it affects costs, Dba ratings, EPA compliance; far too many ramifications to keep retails at reasonable levels. Any manufacturer could produce a perfect "whatever-it-is" right out of the box, but in the end cost to the consumer would be horrendous. That isn't to say that there shouldn't be a constant striving for improvement...something Honda has been pretty effective at for the las 50 years or so in spite of what we may howl about here in the forums.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If a lot of these items where on an options list (like options when ordering a car for example) the cost should be reduced over after market simply from the volume of production level.
However, many after marker suppliers ( KuryAkyn comes to mind) would not be approved as an OEM supplier due to a lack of quality on several of their products. Poor chrome on luggage racks and rider floorboard, heel/toe shifters for example.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Most 1800's have a low speed decell wobble, most of the head bearings were not torqued properly at the factory, the best thing to do is put in tapered bearings. The 1500 wings had tapered bearings in them and there was no problems, why Honda changed on the 1600 is any one's guess. As far as dealers and warranty goes, that will differ from dealer to dealer. I know it shouldn't but it does. Some will replace headlights bulbs and fork seals under warranty, some will say it's a wear item and not covered. Honda sets labor hours for warranty work, some dealers don't want to cover under warranty because of that amount Honda will pay. Others will. I suggest you find a good dealer, even it's a little farther to go and stay with them. I have a great dealer only 10 miles from my house and he covers any problem I have.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You VIOLATOR you should be ashamed of your self how dare you modify your wing when you could have had your legs stretched. NO WARRANTY FOR YOU.:D

Seriously the dealer is the problem here they could have repaired your bike and Honda would have been none the wiser about a one inch suspension drop. The lazy mechanic didn't want to perform the work for factory rates so he opted to cry to the service writer about the mod.
what a scam I hate mechanics oh crap I'm one of them.:eek: well used to be anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts