Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Goldwing that started acting up in September of last year. Took it to the dealership and they’re guessing it needs a fuel pump. That may not be the problem, it’s just what Honda corp suggests the dealership replace. Honda corp claims that they don’t have a fuel pump in stock, and have no plans to make one. It’s worth noting that the fuel pump for a 2018 is the same one that goes on a new 2022 model. It’s ironic that they have fuel pumps to make new bikes to sell, but none to service a 2018 that’s already sold and still under factory warranty. I spent $25,000 and haven’t seen the bike in 4 months, and there’s no end in sight. I must say that the warm feeling I get from having a warranty isn’t as satisfying as riding the motorcycle.

Anybody know where I can find a fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
become that squeaky wheel !!!

when they had to do the brake recall on mine...... they pulled the master cylinder off a bike on their show room floor that they had just used their last one on

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked with literally every parts place and no one has the pump. I’m being a squeaky wheel😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I bought this very aftermarket product and the dealership agreed to install it as a temporary fix until the OEM part comes in. Took the part to the dealership. Unfortunately the “QFS OEM replacement” part doesn’t come close to fitting a 2018 Honda Goldwing. It won’t fit in the housing, the input and output fittings are wrong, and the wiring harness is completely different. This company wasted my time and the dealerships time. I did get a refund which was mighty nice of them.

·
Super Moderator
15,204 Posts
seeing that honda doesn't make the pump maybe there is an issue with the supplier. i have to order parts on my job and a lot of them are showing " D99 " which means they are on back order

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honda has plenty of fuel pumps for new bikes. The same pump goes in my 2018 that won’t run. There’s not any profit in honoring my warranty claim. There’s lots of profit in a new bike. You do the math. If I’m wrong I’m open to an explanation. Silence

·
Super Moderator
15,204 Posts
Honda has plenty of fuel pumps for new bikes. The same pump goes in my 2018 that won’t run. There’s not any profit in honoring my warranty claim. There’s lots of profit in a new bike. You do the math. If I’m wrong I’m open to an explanation. Silence
once again Honda doesn't make the pump and the supplier hasn't made enough of them to cover warranty work. Honda is not going to stop production for your pump those are already accounted for new bikes, i see this all the time here at Henry's. i had a Lincoln in for eight months for a rim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
once again Honda doesn't make the pump and the supplier hasn't made enough of them to cover warranty work. Honda is not going to stop production for your pump those are already accounted for new bikes, i see this all the time here at Henry's. i had a Lincoln in for eight months for a rim
If you’re going to sell a product with a warranty, you should honor that warranty. They are breaching their contract. The contract doesn’t have any clause for excuses. If I failed to pay for the bike, but I had a good excuse, I bet Honda wouldn’t just say “oh well, you just honor your contract whenever you can.”

·
Super Moderator
15,204 Posts
they are not stopping a line for you, its just not going to happen. i understand that you are way past upset looking at the time your bike has been down. if you don't know who henry is i'll make it easy, i work at Ford and with all the rims that went down the Lincoln line a customer not just a customer but an executive waited eight months to get a rim. right now i can't get right side wiper blades for an Edge, they are being sent by the supplier not the factory

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
back in '01m when I was having lengthy issues with a 2500HD Duramax chevy
they finally gave me a long term loaner truck
they were waiting for an engine

·
Registered
177 Posts
No matter how you look at it, it sucks that you can't get a fuel pump for your motorcycle. I feel your pain. Especially when Honda said there are no plans to make a pump for your bike. Perhaps it's time to lawyer up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honda should extend your warranty for the amount of time you have to wait for that fuel pump and get the repair made.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So, did this dealer’s tech confirm the fuel pump is getting power from the fuel pump relay? Are they just guessing or just going by what Honda told them? Is the pump running and it’s a pressure or flow issue or is the pump completely dead?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, did this dealer’s tech confirm the fuel pump is getting power from the fuel pump relay? Are they just guessing or just going by what Honda told them? Is the pump running and it’s a pressure or flow issue or is the pump completely dead?
The pump is not completely dead. It works flawlessly when the bike is cold. When the bike is hot and you turn it off for a few minutes and then hit the start button, it tries to start, like it’s getting a little gas for a few seconds, but then acts like it’s not getting any gas at all. If you keep hitting the start button the engine turns over quickly, but doesn’t fire at all.

There was no diagnostic activity at the dealership. Just a video and maybe a comment to Honda. The reason I support the fuel pump theory is if Honda needed more info, they surely would have asked questions and suggested a test. This may of happened without my knowledge. Also, there’s a new version of the pump used on the 2018’s. It’s got an “002” suffix. The original pump had an “001” suffix. Maybe they had a bunch of failures so they improved on the design and that’s why they’re confident the pump is the culprit. I just hope they get to test their theory in my lifetime.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The pump is not completely dead. It works flawlessly when the bike is cold. When the bike is hot and you turn it off for a few minutes and then hit the start button, it tries to start, like it’s getting a little gas for a few seconds, but then acts like it’s not getting any gas at all. If you keep hitting the start button the engine turns over quickly, but doesn’t fire at all.

There was no diagnostic activity at the dealership. Just a video and maybe a comment to Honda. The reason I support the fuel pump theory is if Honda needed more info, they surely would have asked questions and suggested a test. This may of happened without my knowledge. Also, there’s a new version of the pump used on the 2018’s. It’s got an “002” suffix. The original pump had an “001” suffix. Maybe they had a bunch of failures so they improved on the design and that’s why they’re confident the pump is the culprit. I just hope they get to test their theory in my lifetime.
Dang! I’d love to get my hands on it, I have a few theories when this type of failure is seen. I hope Honda is right and not just wasting your time. While you’re waiting, you should contact your state‘s Attorney General office to see where you stand legally if Honda doesn’t get this going soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dang! I’d love to get my hands on it, I have a few theories when this type of failure is seen. I hope Honda is right and not just wasting your time. While you’re waiting, you should contact your state‘s Attorney General office to see where you stand legally if Honda doesn’t get this going soon.
Good idea. That’s my plan!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts