Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Rick from Vancouver Island, and I am a owner of a 95 FLSTC that I bought new from the create and I have logged just under 200,000km on my softail.

The reason I am here and creating this post is that I very interested in learning from the experienced wing(nuts) data and facts which I will used to make informed decision on my next bike purchase.

I do expect I take some light hearted ribbing, I and welcome all the great reasons to buy a wing. However what I really am interested in is understanding what I need to be worried or concerned about, and what I can do to mitigate these issues.

Why do I need a new bike, well, a couple reasons really.

First, I want one. Lets be honest, who really needs a new big. I do have a problem with my softail. It is and remains an excellent bike for the west coast cruising that I enjoy on Vancouver island, as well as the odd trip to Portland and further south along 101. My FLTSC and its after market 96” S&S motor makes great power, however, the solid mount engine simply sucks at 10 hours of 70+mph highway cruising. The bike is fine, but my 50ish body and that of my younger and much prettier wife, simply find a full day of interstate type driving a royal pain... everywhere.

I have parents who live 600 miles east in Calgary and a son who lives 2986 miles east in Ottawa. In the winter this is never a problem as I will just hop on a plane. However in the summer, I really would like to ride whenever I have the time.

So my requirements for a new bike is one which can provide a very reliable and enjoyable ride at 700 miles per day for 3.5 days. I need a bike which will perform well in the twisters on the coast and in the mountains and a bike that will perform equally as well spending the entire day at 70ish mph.

From this list of requirements, I believe I have articulated enough information to understand why I am seriously considering a 2010 Goldwing (AirBag). I know owners of late model wing who simply love their bikes.

I also have a major problem walking due to breakdowns. I have extensive experience with Harley repairs and I am comfortable with considering at 2011 Road Glide as an alternative.

What I am missing is any good facts and data from your collective experience as to any issues or concerns with the 2010 Goldwing meeting my requirements. What are the Gotchas of being a proud new 2010 Goldwing owner.

Examples could be look for a new seat, install a drivers backrest, buy a K&N AirFilter, dump the stock tires for something safer in the rain.

I also want to install a cradle my Sirius Sat. Radio plug and play radio. I have a Zumo GPS which appears at first blush to be better than the stock Honda GPS. Is the Harley open-faced headset good, or would I be wise to consider a J&M alternative.

At first blush, I would like to add the CB radio to the bike. I drove Highway tractor for some time in my earlier years. However the $800+ cost of the Honda add-on has me looking for a Harley Bar and Shield logo on the unit.

I thank you all in advance to taking a moment to read my posting and to those to have taking the time to help me to make an informed decision on my next motorbike.

Respectfully,
Rick

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello rick, welcome to GWOF. if you can rent a wing for a day or two it will answer all your questions

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. As Detdrbuzzard said, rent one to see what it is like. If you get one with the CB installed, it won't be as great a cost. There are some very good deals on new 2010s. We won't bash you for having a Harley, many of the members here own one! Whatever you decide, ride safe. :)

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

Hey Harley guy, welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

It sounds like you qualify for a Goldwing. Now go rent one for a week and ride the piss out of it and see if that fits you.

Then buy one if it does.

There are quite a few Wing guys who used to own Harley Davidson motorcycles and vice verse. Both companies make nice bikes. It is really more than brand loyalty, it is faith in what you ride.

Next question.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have only had my 2010 for a few months but so far I love. No porblem with the tires, and by following this site I have found many add ons to put on my list. There is a thread about a cheaper CB that has more feature then the honday unit for ex..

Look around and you will probably find the answers to all your questions.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hey Rick...like all have said above...Rent one for the weekend and give it a good ride. You won't be sorry....

Also as stated we do not really bash HD riders....maybe the bikes them selves but not the riders...LOL.

Ride Safe Always!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pa. You answered your own question with this statement:

So my requirements for a new bike is one which can provide a very reliable and enjoyable ride at 700 miles per day for 3.5 days. I need a bike which will perform well in the twisters on the coast and in the mountains and a bike that will perform equally as well spending the entire day at 70ish mph.

That is exactly what the wing is built for. As far as comfort, many add custom seats and highway pegs to fit their individual tastes. I've personally done 725 mile days on my wing with no problems. If you're unsure, do as others have suggested. Rent one or find a friend with one that will let you ride it for a day and see what you think. I feel you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Rick, and I can only concur with what the others have said. Wings are the out in front champ of the two up long haul. Check out the alternative CB radio from BikeMP3 (available from our site sponsor Wingstuff) at roughly half the bit of the Hondaline unit and it includes an MP3 player that allows the use of the handlebar control switches. For your Sirius, there is an aux cable in the left fairing pocket that is plucg and play and the power outlet that fits in the pocket will supply the juice. However, there is a significan loss of sound volume in the aux circuit and a noise supressor is required to eliminate the alternator whine that intrudes on the aux circuit as well (even worse on high beam). I had no complaints with the rain handling of the stock Dunlop D250s and have ridden in some serious wet. I'd opt for the Bridgstones if you're bent on tire swap though. That's what is going on the front of my '09 come early spring. If there is a choice for you between the Wing and a Harley, leave the Roadglide behind and stick with an Ultra for better two up comfort, but there's too much advantage (my $.02) with the Wing to really stick with the HD. Your Softail Custom is a great ride, but not the long road two-upper as you have discovered. My Roadking was a great bike too, but no comparison for a Wing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the welcome and thoughtful and balanced responses.

There doesn't appear a firm near to the Victoria/Vancouver area who rents late model wings, however, I expect the dealership will let me take the bike out with my wife once I am ready with the cheque in hand.

Budoka, thank you very much for the information on the CB and limitations of the Aux. Cable.

This morning I spent quality talking to owner of the HD store and well as the long time employees at the Honda shop. I have my short list down to three bikes on the showroom. A Black 2010 GL1800 with airbag. A new 2011 Ultra Limited, and a used 2006 Road Glide.

The reason I am considering used Road Glide is that I can keep my current bike for my 23year old son. He grew up on this bike and there is that family history and shared experiences that is giving me reason to think about handing him the keys when he get a couple more years on his starter 650.

All my research, including the great information I found on this forum, has me leaning towards the wing. My wife simply loves the Ultra Limited, the colour and look. However I expect the extra storage space and a few hours in the back of the wing will resolve that issue. However, the HD owner, who is very familiar with my HD, is will to offer a killer deal if I trade my HD in.

So now I need to have a chat with my friendly banker and I will take the HD over to the Honda Dealer to see what they are willing to give me for my bike.

Who knows I might just end up with a new bike just before Christmas, which BTW I swore I would never go again. This is exactly what ending up happening in 1994 when I picked up my 95 HD. It almost killed me to have a new bike in the garage for 3 months, waiting or the winter weather and storms to clear up long enough to get the bike out on the first couple of nice rides.

Somethings are just meant to happen. :)

Rick

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I wish my bikes only sat in the garage for three months!:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just shoot me...

Took my wife to the Honda Store, she sat and the GW and before I knew it, I hand a $1k deposit on a new 2010. I should have known better then to take her shopping. :)

I need to get the HD service finished off and some paint work done that I started before I trade in the HD for the new GW, which should be just in time for all the winter rain to start from now till March.

Oh well, at least I will have quality study time from now till spring for here on the forum and with the owners manual.

Rick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Took my wife to the Honda Store, she sat and the GW and before I knew it, I hand a $1k deposit on a new 2010. I should have known better then to take her shopping. :)

I need to get the HD service finished off and some paint work done that I started before I trade in the HD for the new GW, which should be just in time for all the winter rain to start from now till March.

Oh well, at least I will have quality study time from now till spring for here on the forum and with the owners manual.

Rick
Same exact thing happened to us. At the urging of a saleman my wife hopped up on a Wing and instantly was dissatisfied with the comfort of our BMW K1300GT (which was terminally ill and needed to be replaced). I hopped on and was wowed, also. Not top heavy and very light on its feet underway. BTW, We had rented a Harley EG and she hated the vibration and relatively cramped quarters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same exact thing happened to us. At the urging of a saleman my wife hopped up on a Wing and instantly was dissatisfied with the comfort of our BMW K1300GT (which was terminally ill and needed to be replaced). I hopped on and was wowed, also. Not top heavy and very light on its feet underway. BTW, We had rented a Harley EG and she hated the vibration and relatively cramped quarters.
I didn't even bother to sit on the GW. I have sat on them before and figured what the heck, it will be fine.

BTW, co-owner of the shop was tell me he just got a new in-line 6 BMW K1600GTL as a trade in for one of the last 2010 GW in stock. Apparently this guy bought the in-line 6, drove it for a few months and decided he wanted a GW again. Expensive summer

Rick

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't even bother to sit on the GW. I have sat on them before and figured what the heck, it will be fine.

BTW, co-owner of the shop was tell me he just got a new in-line 6 BMW K1600GTL as a trade in for one of the last 2010 GW in stock. Apparently this guy bought the in-line 6, drove it for a few months and decided he wanted a GW again. Expensive summer

Rick
I can understand why someone would go back to a Wing. After my miserable experience with a 2009 K1300GT, couldn't give me a late model Beemer. Technology is so complex that even the factory reps had problems fixing it and my experience with the limited dealer network was awful. So glad to have the Wing -- did 10,000 miles this year with zero problems.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
What impresses me about the wing.... just let out the clutch and go. Bike just goes. Comfortable, quiet and no vibration and I swear I am riding an electric bike on a rail.

Congrats on making the decision to buy your new Wing. Lets celebrate with some wine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of your new Goldwing, you won't be sorry. I hope you had the dealer install a backrest for you, that makes all the difference for me.

Go our and crank it up to 70, set the cruise and lean back and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congartulations from another 2010 owner. I pick mine up tomorrow. Mine was a trade in on a Harley. A Met. Titanium with 3500 miles and 2 1/2 years of Honda factory warranty on it. It already has a spoiler, fog lights and a few other goodies... Good luck and see you on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Welcome to the family!! :D Ride safe

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Congratulations with your new wing. I think both of you will love it. Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing purchase. Now the smiles begin. Ride safe and take the wife out for a nice ride. Ride safe and post some pics for us to see. We love pics...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts