Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '84 Aspencade, 23k miles. Just purchased. I have a momentary delay (1-2 seconds) on warm start. Battery is full. Always starts. Is this a timing issue?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Does it start as soon as you remove your finger from the start button? If you hold the button in will it turn over but not start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joe

It acts like the battery is low. It hesitates to crank for a second or two, like a low battery, then starts with cranking more than a rev or two.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I know that on a 1500 if it cranks but won't start until you let go of the starter button it is the battery, Sorry but I'm not sure about a 1200, but I would guess if it acts the same way it probably is the battery. Batteries can last from 1 year to 5 years, a good rule of thumb is replace it every 3 to 4 years, better off to do that than be stuck some where with a dead battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery

Ok, here is the deal. Do you know what the crankin amps is for the battery required for the Wing? I just purchased it. The first and only owner made a mod. He said he did not like to pay 80$ for the right battery. He made a real neat mod, cant tell , He put a Lawn and Garden mower battery in the LH saddlebag. It is 325 crankin amps. Maybe that is not enough, when warm. What do you think?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 1999, 1500A. I had much the same problem with mine. I had a stock battery but I would act much like a drained battery, but then start. I had the battery checked and found it to be bad. When I put in the new battery I couldn't believe how much faster it cranked. Even with the mod battery, I would have a shop check battery condition. If the battery is about to dump, that could be the problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi magee11, if your 1200 turns over slowly for 2-3 seconds an than turns over normally while starting the engine you probably have a starter motor beginning to go bad.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
if you know that the battery is good then the starter is getting heated up by the engine and it's an early warning that the starter needs a rebuild and the brushes are going bad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts