Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my tires badly need replacing and I want to remove wheels myself to save cost and clean rims at the same time.
So far I will either use YouTube's "tip bike over" trick or try another suggested method of pulling rear wheel through de-fendered back while bike is upright on shimmed up center stand. I haven't been able to find any info yet on how and when best to remove front wheel (leaving bike wheel-less).
So far tipping bike over sounds simpler in regards to rear wheel removal but has me puzzled whether front wheel can be done that way at all or at the same time (since "tip it" video only demonstrated rear wheel swap).
I don't have a manual yet, but if it's instruction for the front wheel removal is like the rear, might not be the best anyway, albeit would be a reference.
Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Just had a front replaced on mine two days ago at the shop. I usually hang out with the mechanic there but I had to leave it overnight. I didn't get to see the show. The " service manual " has you removing the front fender and brake calipers, I have only to wonder at this point if that is necessary. Intuitively, however, I don't see a way of getting the front off without jacking the bike up. The problem with the " Service Manual " is it presumes that the bike is at a shop and all the necessary equipment is at hand. You won't learn a short cut with it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I vote for the center stand method!
No shims needed!
Loosen the rear lugs 1st. Then raise on the center stand and remove the rear wheel.
Jack under the engine case to lift the front and remove the front wheel.
Of course the real deal is a Pit Bull lift!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I vote for the center stand method!
No shims needed!
Loosen the rear lugs 1st. Then raise on the center stand and remove the rear wheel.
Jack under the engine case to lift the front and remove the front wheel.
Of course the real deal is a Pit Bull lift!
That's how I do it on mine and it works fine if you are going to put the wheels back in within a few hours, if you are leaving it longer than a few hours I would suggest another technique as the hydralic jack will sink and the wing will fall of it's center stand!!

Gary

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That's how I do it on mine and it works fine if you are going to put the wheels back in within a few hours, if you are leaving it longer than a few hours I would suggest another technique as the hydralic jack will sink and the wing will fall of it's center stand!!

Gary
Your jack needs fixed! I can lock mine and leave it for days!

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Thanks. I figured if he knew where he broadcast his question all over the place, he should know where to go look for the answers he got.

Seems kind of like cross posting in a way.
I'm taking a guess here : "SS " = Steve Saunders ? The fellow is great if you can get through the accent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for reminder

Thanks Chopin114 I couldn't figure what SS referred to and even had resorted to google (should I even be admitting that, what a geek eh!).
Even if right or not, it did remind of Steve's forum I frequented alot a couple years back when I had my 1984 Aspy but had forgot about it. I will certainly nosy over there soon.

Rudy, not positive what "cross posting" is, but I did post same question here and NAGF figuring to get more people's input. Is that a Forum no-no?
Thanks again all. :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Succeeded, Thanks all

I must admit, with the help of a couple forums, I did pull off a succesful dual wheel removal last night. Went smoother than expected.
Relaying my experience for anybody's benefit.
Late last night, in order to get my wheels back for this weekend, I hesitantly dove into the removal, (come what may).
I started by putting the bike on its center stand and placing my floor jack centered under engine just behind my 4.5'' pile (3 2x4's) which was just under the engine "seam" that is even with the front of the oil filter.
Having loosened the rear wheel lug nuts beforehand, I now dismounted the back wheel and left it sitting loosely in "wheel well" allowing the front end to be jacked off the ground sufficiently (and keeping max weight on center stand) in order to slide front tire out from under unremoved front fender.
I actually removed front axle shaft just before lifting front end off the ground to desired height. (I did get a helper, at this point, to steady bike as raising floor jack seemed to take some weight off of one leg of the center stand making bike feel unsteady and wanting to lean)
When I tried pulling front tire from the bike I then realized the wheel's rubber wouldn't clear the brake calipers. Wanting to remove as little as possible I removed the 4x 5mm allen bolts that secure the caliper crome cover and then the 2 bolts holding caliper to fork. I only removed one caliper and was able to leave fender on and to slip wheel from under fender.
At this point I lowered floor jack down slowly till bottom of engine rested on my 2''x4'' pile and the back of the bike raised enough to "wiggle" out the rear wheel through the space of the removed "license holding" fender (4x 5mm bolts).
I am glad it turned out simpler than the manual or dealer suggest and didn't have headaches with front fender, saddle "bags", power amp or lift (I don't have one).:woohoo:

Thanks for everyones help and hope this bit can be of assisatance to some.
Sending a photo as it stands now. (notice cords in very bald tire on left of bike)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Seeing is believing; and as imitation is the greatest form of flattery, I may have reason to flatter you one day.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
You are far braver than I Digi. I wouldn't have any qualms about taking off the front wheel, but the rear one my stomach problem would get me (no guts). Great job btw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Thanks chopin114 and budoka, I must admit I was kind of "lets see if this will work" most of the way into it but when you succeed and its still standing, a day later, just as I'm about to do reverse and re-install the wheels it does give you that welcome encouragement.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
I don't direct people to another forum to get answers, I believe there are enough people here with Goldwing knowledge to share. I believe anyone who is doing this needs to be barred from this site.
First of all I have a trike lift and it can be used for motorcycles also. If the lift is tied up the hardly used jack does the job.
The do it yourselfer may wish to use a simple motorcycle jack to remove the wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts