Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1988 1500 gl with the training wheel kit that I would like to have.(remove the training wheels) It was turned over once and needs some mirror parts and probably the fairing, as it got scratched. The bike was serviced, including timing belt about 50 miles before the turn over. It has 118K miles on it. The owners wife said after their little tumble they weren't riding anymore. He is an older gentleman, close to 80. I have a 2005 VTX 1300C with about 12K miles. The owner of the motorcycle shop is trying to sell the wing for this fellow. He said we could possibly do some trading on the bikes. What would be a descent trade for me? Am I crazy to trade a newer bike for an older one? How hard and expensive are the parts I would need for the wing to come by? I need some advice! I am wanting a Wing, but don't want to give up the farm to get one. Thanks, titan48.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think you will see a variance of discussion on this, mostly because really, the decision is very subjective relating to your own personal desires or wants. your post reads, wanna be a wing owner, well you can be. its how baaaad do want to be a wing owner lol. but whether or not its worth giving up the bike you have is going to be a personal decision.

now, the things you can find out about here. parts. the 88 was the first year of the 1500 through 2001. same bike. I think if you have a hard time finding parts, its not cause they are dwindling to nothing, its cuz everyone is still riding them. I have seen a few part out cases on craigs list, but not many 1500's. so a fairing could be tough. another thing is, it would be nice if you could ride one. the trike kit wont help with that so Im not sure what to tell you. but like anything a good long hour ride on a used wing, will help you compare whether its worth giving up the existing bike for.

just a few notes.
that the belts have been changed is good. that it has miles on it, (not sitting) is good. the 1500's are expensive when it comes to carb work if you cant do it so a sitting 1500, super low miles, is not always beneficial. if the original alt is on it, your on borrowed time. if it was replaced, no worries at all. everything else is gadgets and one day fixes, short of a bad tranny, (only seen one in 3 months of looking for mine).

they handle great on the road. they are bulky and top heavy at a stop. so beware.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hello titan, welcome to GWOF. first ask yourself do you really have to have that wing? there are plenty 1500 wings that haven't been recked with low to mid-milage on them the $4500 - $6500 range that need nothing but for you to swing a leg over it

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Lots and Lots of good deals on 1500 Wings out there.

Welcome to the GWOF from N Texas

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea how much you want it. I just bought a gl1500 1990 two months agp with 116k(km). took it on a 5000km trip two weeks ago. Not a teaspoon of oil used. not a glitch anywhere. Also in 100 degree heat everyday. You can find a no scratch and almost new like wing for under $5000. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Best of luck with finding your wing if it is not this one. Eric

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hello and welcome to our and now your forum, I think pictures are in order here.
it seems that a dealer is not the best place to make a trade. they treat your bike like trash and value theirs like gold. I would sell yours for cash and buy the Wing of your choice. I would stay away from a wrecked Bike if at all possible the tupperware is very expensive and on an older bike forget about color match. but still Pictures are in order mainly because we love pictures.
Did I mention we love pictures?:D

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Unless you are handy with a wrench and have a lot of time on your hands, I would say turn it down. JMHO. Like others have said there are a lot of good 1500's for sale out there ready to ride.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome. I have to agree with doc and Two Wheel and say there's plenty of Wings to choose from unless you want to do the wrenching thing.

·
Administrator
15,295 Posts
Welcome from Mississippi. That would be a tough decision. I'm sure the training wheels come off but the wreck would bother me.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Very nice we can't wait to see the pictures of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.