Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes:

have owned many Hondas over the years and currently have an 02 1800 VTXC and 05 FJR; looking to get either Wing or BMW GTL. Rode the latter and waiting on test ride for Wing. I'm 6'5" so both bikes present somewhat of a challenge. I'd appreciate all honest feedback, good and bad on both, to point me in the right direction. I've read all the comparisons and reviews and have visited their Forums as well - time to hear from you guys!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'm a little short 5'4" and from what I've noticed the GL1500 seems to be more spacious and the 1800 a bit close. I have been told there is a 1" difference in the seat on both bikes with the 1500 allowing the rider to sit further back while the 1800 sits the rider 1" forward. You will not be disappointed with the power of the 1800, it's quiet and smooth as silk.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
There are places around that can redo the 1800 seat to move the back of the riders seat back/ trim some out of the back.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
What's up with the name?

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hello steelerbeam, welcome to GWOF. i'vetest ridded a '10 wing and the new bmw gtl

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I like the name:)

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Steeler fan. Never rode a BMW but what I have read they require more maintainance. Love my 1800 Wing

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the eastside of Pa. Good luck on your quest.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Given your stature, neither bike is going to be stock ready comfort. The Goldwing , however, has better options for modifications. I don't believe you can mount highway pegs on the BMW. Highway pegs alone are not the answer for tall riders ( until they come up with forward controls designed to work with it ), but they do allow some stretching out on the long haul.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Welcome to the forum, ride safe and enjoy...

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Steelers fan for 40 years and Beam was my nickname in college - and not for what you think!
Kinda figured that , well welcome to GWOF from Baltimore, Go Ravens

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome to the site. If you're in the two-up market, avoid the GTL, Wings are a definite winner there. If you like fast (I'm looking at that FJR in your list) the GTL is a speedster for sure. Bit more electronic bilng too. But it's a Beemer and they like to drain their owners finances with maintenance costs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.