Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come VTEC technology from the car side never made it over to gl1800? Wouldn't it help with performance and fuel economy?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Honda had it on the VFR 800. From what I remember, there was a surge of power when the valves would kick in. A lot of people did not like it because it was on sport bike. They wanted smooth power delivery. I think the extra cost on a low volume bike was some of it. So, it went away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense and on a 800 plus difference might have been too noticeable. Nonetheless on a heavy bike like the gl1800 I kinda feel like it would have been better and not just for performance it would have also helped with mpg. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
OK? What does VTEC stand for?? "I know once I hear what it means, I'll say Daaaaa, why didn't I think of that
Ronnie

·
Registered
246 Posts
Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control The motor has a 4 valve head. In the lower RPM range, the motor runs on 2 valves per cylinder. In the upper RPM range, a computer kicks in another lifter and the other 2 valves then open up. The motor then runs on 4 valves per cylinder.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I am a Honda Auto tech. At different stages VTEC 6 cylinder, by using oil pressure control solenoids turns off either 2 cylinders or 4 cylinders by keeping all valves in 1 and 4 or 1, 2, 3 and 4 closed. So those cylinders are not sucking in air or expelling exhaust. It Also turns off those injectors. Conditions have to be met no heavy throttle, no heavy load such as going up hill or excessive light load as going down hill (engine braking).
It would be an awesome feature on the GL1800, but have no idea how they would add the Solenoid valve, oil valve and or oil controlled rockers with out upping weight by about 75lbs. Plus making for odd shaped engines.
4 cylinder VTEC rotates the intake cam to a different timing for all cylinders to work differently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts