1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jeff here in Sturgeon Bay, Wisc
I own an 82 Interstate.
Just picked it up and doing maintenance on it
One day while riding, the volts, which had been registering 14 or so dropped down to 8 on the gauge.
It has a new Motobatt battery...tested the voltage regulator...fine..tested battery...fine....tested three yellow wires...all three reading 65 volts...then cut connector, and spliced wires together......removed ground cable, cleaned and put back on
Bike starts right up......but with new battery, now reads about 11 volts and stays there,,,,regardless of engine RPM....In addition, which could be unrelated, the fuel gauge quit working.
It has a new 7 volt regulator too.
My question now...do i need to go to auto parts store to pick up a voltmeter and amp meter, and perform test as outlined in Clymer manual to verify alternator output

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
1st off Jeff welcome to the GWOF. Now to your question. It never hurts to do the tests & with a 30 year old bike it's even smart. The other thing I would mention is be sure that all your connections: battery, regulator etc etc are not only clean but aren't loose or ratty in anyway. The key to electrical bliss is clean, tight, & integrity.

I'm sure one of the other guys (we have some 1100's here) will chime in.

Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts