Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1997 SE 1500 Goldwing with 35,000 miles on it. It had Metzeler tires on it front and back. The front tire was severely cupped, so I had it replaced. The rear tire has a lot of tread left on it and looks ok. The problem I'm having is when leaning the bike towards the left (like riding down a long interstate highway ramp), I can feel a vibration that feels like it's maybe coming from the rear tire, but not sure. I havew pulled in the clutch to see if it would be gear related, but had no effect. I also applied the rear brake during the vibration and that had no effect, either. Could this be the rear Metzeler tire? Or would it be gearing or bearing problem?

When riding the bike straight up and leaning it towards the right the vibration does not occur at all.
One other thing that might be part of this problem is when I ride it on the highway I can hear a faint re-occuring humming sound that sounds like it might be coming from the rear part of the bike. I don't feel the vibration then, but will feel it if I slightly lean the bike to the left for a second or two.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I had the same thing leaning left on my Harley.......I get a slight vibration on both sides with my wing. I'm pretty sure it the tires, I gave up worrying about it.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
You can check the rear wheel bearing. Just put the bike on the center stand. get hold the the tire at the bottom and try moving it side to side. If it moves it's your bearings.

While you are down there rotate the wheel slowly and look for any bulging of the tire on the left side. Just a thought.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Rear tire on my bike. The rear Metz has about 6,500 miles on her and she hums in the slightest lean. I'm beginning to realize that every riding season needs a new tire. Wait until the wife learns about this next year. I'll try and describe the sound that makes.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Rear tire on my bike. The rear Metz has about 6,500 miles on her and she hums in the slightest lean. I'm beginning to realize that every riding season needs a new tire. Wait until the wife learns about this next year. I'll try and describe the sound that makes.
If it sounds like a Whine, you are in BIG TROUBLE.:D
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Yikes; start saving from you beer fund and pay for it yourself, Chopin

Sorry Tooneyman didn't mean to Hijack your tread.
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts

Ron
" You raise a point here Ron ( not about the beer fund ) on hijacking a thread. Indeed, sometimes a topic takes a spin that is, shall we say, less than technical. As with most open forums the chances of this increase with the number of comments on a given topic. Sometimes we have to sift through the sand to find the pearl of information. As long as the information is " there " , I hope we are all forgiven from time to time for throwing a little layer of sand on top of it. " Sincerely, The Sandman.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can check the rear wheel bearing. Just put the bike on the center stand. get hold the the tire at the bottom and try moving it side to side. If it moves it's your bearings.

While you are down there rotate the wheel slowly and look for any bulging of the tire on the left side. Just a thought.
Ron
Did all that and everything seemed to be tight without any movement. The Metzler rear tire does have very slight uneveness on it on the left side, but did not see any bulging or noticible cupping.
The vibration when it happens feels like you're riding on the edge of a "knobby" tire (like they use on motocross bikes). Any slight lean to the left will produce the vibration. I'm pretty sure it's the tire and if it really is won't worry about it right now. Will probably take the bike to a local Honda dealer soon for them to check out things just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ron

No problem.
Always like a little humor now and then.
lol. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I do get some re-occuring humming from the rear Metzler tire at highway speeds. It's pretty minimal, however and with the radio on can't hardly hear it.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Besure to let us know what you find.
Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Had a new Dunlop Elite III installed on the rear of my Wing last Saturday and that took care of the vibration problem 100%. You couldn't really tell that much from looking at the Metzeler tire that was on the bike before as far as any noticable cupping or damage on it, but changing the tire to a Dunlop tire made all the difference. There must have been something wrong with it in some way. No humming noise on the highway now and no vibration whatsoever now when leaning the bike to the left anymore. It's a nice quiet, good handling tire. Glad it turned out that way, too, since I spent $300 smackers for the new Dunlop tire (installation + tire). But, I'm smiling now and happy with it. :):):):) ....... appreciate all of your input on this problem, thanks.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad you got your vibration sorted. My original D250's are much noisier than when they had less distance on them. At 12,000 km now and are holding up fine otherwise, just more road noise.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Update: Had a new Dunlop Elite III installed on the rear of my Wing last Saturday and that took care of the vibration problem 100%. You couldn't really tell that much from looking at the Metzeler tire that was on the bike before as far as any noticable cupping or damage on it, but changing the tire to a Dunlop tire made all the difference. There must have been something wrong with it in some way. No humming noise on the highway now and no vibration whatsoever now when leaning the bike to the left anymore. It's a nice quiet, good handling tire. Glad it turned out that way, too, since I spent $300 smackers for the new Dunlop tire (installation + tire). But, I'm smiling now and happy with it. :):):):) ....... appreciate all of your input on this problem, thanks.
A new tire will make you feel that way! Enjoy it while it lasts. We all do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting the new tire was great, but now I just have to figure out a way to tell the wife that it was her Christmas present. I hope she likes it, but something tells me she's not going to ....... lol.
Suppose I had better duck after I tell her (ya know watch out for any flying objects that might come my way) ...... :eek:

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Getting the new tire was great, but now I just have to figure out a way to tell the wife that it was her Christmas present. I hope she likes it, but something tells me she's not going to ....... lol.
Suppose I had better duck after I tell her (ya know watch out for any flying objects that might come my way) ...... :eek:
Tell her how much you care about the comfort and safety of her best asset.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts