Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went riding for a few hours yesterday and I had numb butt by the time we got back. So what do you all do on long distance rides? I tires the highway pegs but it really didn't help much. I'm thinking stops when it get to tough but I'm sure with all the veteran riders here there is an answer.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
So we went riding for a few hours yesterday and I had numb butt by the time we got back. So what do you all do on long distance rides? I tires the highway pegs but it really didn't help much. I'm thinking stops when it get to tough but I'm sure with all the veteran riders here there is an answer.
sunflower seeds helps me

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
It takes me a while every spring to get into "riding shape" for the long runs. I use the highway pegs and shift positions when I get tired. We usually stop every 150 to 200 miles depending on the goal for the day and riding conditions.

The joy of six.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
the ride time from my house to yours is about 2 1/2 hours if i ride with nothing more than a fuel stop but it takes me close to three hours cause i usually take a 1/2hr break when i stop for gas

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
I use a beaded seat cover in summer as it ventilates in heat and increases comfort and an Alaskan Sheepskin for winter riding which increases warmth and comfort too. Riding 2 up we stop about every 50-75 miles and riding solo go 150 to next gas fill up or potty break.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
The other day when I had 459 miles to ride home I stoped only when the little yellow light told me to get gas so like every 200 miles

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
wally-mart car gel seat pad for $20 bucks.

I have a cover so I cut it to shape of the seat put it under the cover and it sticks perfectly.
If that isn't quite enough another makes it even better.

1 have one for semi long rides and use 2 on a really long haul.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Some folks use a gel seat. I believe you can get them at Walmart for about $20. That seems to help some.

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Okay I'll play. Some of you guys have already heard these but here they are again.

1) Hartco Seat w/backrest
2) LD Comfort Shorts - Trust me you won't be sorry
http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Nohandles the bottom line to this question is you need to find what mileage you are comfortable with. There is no right or wrong. I've ridden some high miles & have sat on the bike while I fueled only to ride right away. Other times I've stopped at 150 miles or so & took a break because I wanted to. Last year some of us rode to west PA & down to W.V. looping back up through MD. for a weekend get together. I was riding my Nighthawk & rode every bit as hard as the others. As I said find what works for you.

Trust an Ole Fossil on the LD Shorts they are great. Handwash in the hotel sink at night & they are dry the next morning.:D

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
A Back rest or the auxilliary tank that I use as a back rest helps you can lean against it and get your arse off the seat....for a few minutes ...also standing up while riding helps a lot as well. The other thing is just using a lambs wool...it keeps the back side dry...it breaths and unlike sitting on vinyl it prevents a build up of swet. I found my stock seat very comfortable.
I also recomment highway pegs to stretch your legs...

I can get over 400 miles with my auxilliary tank but you are required to stop at 300 by IBA rules....

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Some folks use a gel seat. I believe you can get them at Walmart for about $20. That seems to help some.
I used a surgical gel for a while....but like the vinyl seat they can cause swetting..the other negative with a Gel is that they can heat up from the sun...while I was trying the gel I use to put my lambs wool over it...then I just went with the lambs wool alone...

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Like a lot of others....I use the wal mart pad and backrest....and I move around a lot too. I usually ride with maybe one short stop between tanks. Basically it comes down to this....If the pain starts to change your concentration.....STOP

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I also on a several day trip have been known to take Ibuprofin...it helps with the aches and pains...:D

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I use an Airhawk seat cushion. I've had 500+ mile days; I've had a couple of 800+ mile days and sure that's a lot of miles but i had no problem with the arse. I also used the LD Comfort pants like fossil suggested.

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
I bought a Corbin seat and I can ride 500 mile days and still walk and look forward to riding the next day.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Stopping approx every 150 miles for gas works well for me. I have a saddleman gel as well as a wally world pad. They both work well. Long rides are what I Love so you seldomly hear me complain.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Stopping approx every 150 miles for gas works well for me. I have a saddleman gel as well as a wally world pad. They both work well. Long rides are what I Love so you seldomly hear me complain.
I had the Saddleman gel seat on my 98 GL1500 and loved it. If I need to buy a different seat for the 1800 that will be my first choice..:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see a lot of good tips here. My problem is that I've lost a 127 LBS over the last 8 years and I have no padding any more LOL good to be at my high school weight again but the body isn't what it used to be. From what you all have said its going to be trial and error to find the right combo for comfort. I'm thinking I want a side car to help with comfort. Since I'm sore and hurting all the time not having to maneuver the heavy bike would be a great asset to me. So next journey will be a side car. I know there are drawbacks to a side car but it should be far more comfortable that the 1937 Henderson Dad and me had in the 70"s. I went from here to Texas on the ole Henderson but I was 20 years old! Just remember the beast I think around 1300 plus LBS pulling me everywhere. Loved that old bike.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
I see a lot of good tips here. My problem is that I've lost a 127 LBS over the last 8 years and I have no padding any more LOL good to be at my high school weight again but the body isn't what it used to be. From what you all have said its going to be trial and error to find the right combo for comfort. I'm thinking I want a side car to help with comfort. Since I'm sore and hurting all the time not having to maneuver the heavy bike would be a great asset to me. So next journey will be a side car. I know there are drawbacks to a side car but it should be far more comfortable that the 1937 Henderson Dad and me had in the 70"s. I went from here to Texas on the ole Henderson but I was 20 years old! Just remember the beast I think around 1300 plus LBS pulling me everywhere. Loved that old bike.
Wow congrats on the weight loss

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow congrats on the weight loss
It wasn't intentional. I had the left aorta 99% blocked at age 42 weighed on 180 at the time. I had been a runner for 10 years so I was really fit otherwise we wouldn't be talking now age 56. At any rate the meds I got put caused massive weight gain. I finally went to the doctor and demanded other alternative meds. From then on- 8 years ago I began to loose- thank goodness. Still 195 but I'll take it. Size 36 pants are a whole lot better than tight 48's. lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts