Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here, been stationed in the tropics for the last 6 years, transferring back inconus at the end of the month, sold the Harley, looking at picking up a wing by Christmas or so, like the 1800's but my wallet screams 1500, either would be great. I've been looking at all the listings, weighing the "wanta-have against the gotta-have", decided on at least a CB and below 50K miles, yeah I ain't picky, been reading the forum, few questions:

1. Can you add heated grips and seat to the 1500?
2. I see the vents on the 1500 and 1800 models, where do you control the air flow? I looked at hundreds of posting pics, I haven't seen any air controls.
3. I've been used to riding year round. I'll miss that but it will be nice to be able to ride more than 40 minutes before having to turn around because I ran out of land. Trying to find the correct wording, what's the coldest you have been able to ride comfortably with just the vents on the 1500s? Just trying to extend my riding season.
4. My profile pic doesn't seem to post but it shows up when I look at the control panel.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
First welcome to the forum and welcome back to the states. The vents on the 1500 have levers next to them that control the flow of air. The one(s) on the top of the fairing I think are just directional. I don't think they have levers. I've ridden a 1500 in temps down to 27 degrees but you need layers of clothing for that. The wing does have lower heat vents that can be open to provide some heat for your feet. You are pretty well protected behind the fairing. I had a 98 GL1500 SE and it came with a CB standard. I think all of the SE models did. CB is extra on all GL1800s. I don't believe heated grips came on the 1500s but I'm sure you can buy after market items like that. If you add a lot of electrical stuff to the 1500 you will need to swap out the alternator for a bigger one that can handle the increase output.

There a lot of great 1500 out there for sale with a lot of miles still left in them. Good luck and hope you find yours.. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... T-CAN ... CB's ARE GOOD BUT A MUSIC SYSTEM IS VERY GOOD ... AS 2 WHEEL MENTIONED THERE ARE SOME GREAT MACHINES AVAILABLE ... I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT MOVING TO A 1500 / 1800 BUT MY OL' 85 1200 LTD IS RUNNING GREAT AND I ENJOY THE ATTENTION IT GETS ... MAYBE NEXT YEAR FOR A NEW BIKE ... SO WELCOME BACK AND I 'THANK YOU' FOR YOU'RE SERVICE ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, looking forward to getting back, getting that wing and getting on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts