Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soory for the duplicate can't find the delete button. I have a 2008 with Navigation. I think it works great but the maps for my area are so out dated. Streets that are 3 years old at the time I bought my bike were not on the maps.
I I know I have the most currant version the 4.3 version 8.0.
I would like to update the maps only. Can anyone Help.

Thanks Rich

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The Honda GPS is a garmin system, check with garmin, or I think Honda will sell you a new updated map card but it's not cheap. It would cheaper to buy a new GPS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
try looking into the GL1800riders.com website and you will find a lot of discussion on this nav system and what can and cannot be done also links to tell tou how to get the Garmin Non NT Nav program and input it into the Nav . As of 2009 the wing uses the NT program so the 2008 and older models will not be able to update beyond the Garmin 2009 Navagatior as it is the last year Garmin says they will do it in the NON NT version

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... FOR THE OLDER WINGS ... I HAVE A TOM-TOM 'ONE' THAT I MOUNT ON LOWER INSIDE WINDSHIELD W/ SUCTION CUP AND A LEASH TIDED TO IT FOR SAFETY ... POP OUT OF MOUNT PLUG INTO USB/COMPUTER AND DOWNLOAD ALL TOM-TOM UPDATES FOR FREE AND USE IT IN THE PICKUP ALSO ... HAPPY TRAILS P.S. I ALSO MADE A AUX. POWER PLUG FOR THE TOM-TOM AND MY IPOD ect. ...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not a great deal of support on this from Honda. The system on my 09 AD is nearly identical (and I'll bet the data base is identical) to my wife's Acura. She bought and update, spent about $400 on it and it didn't do diddly. Naturally the excuse is we are in Canada and the system updates don't apply up here. Stupid thing is, I have two other Garmin portables (both aviation units: III Pilot and a 195) that have great data bases for our Canadian roads. I'd try direct with Garmin and see if they can offer any help. Up here unless you are in a major city there is not much available for onboard data; too many 'unverified' roads and other dropouts. We can't even use the goto function on either the car or bike to track back home because a large section of the major highway that runs past our home is 'unverified'. Pretty sad considering the highway runs from Montana all the way to Alaska. :confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cheaper to Buy a 3P Navigator

Soory for the duplicate can't find the delete button. I have a 2008 with Navigation. I think it works great but the maps for my area are so out dated. Streets that are 3 years old at the time I bought my bike were not on the maps.

Thanks Rich
Rich:

Do a search on this board for "navigation" and you'll find tons of dicussion. Be aware that if you have a 2008, the last Garmin software map update is v9. Garmin has announced that they will no longer support the non-NT versions of their software going forward (the 2006-08 NAVIs are non-NT-based). If you want a Wing with updates, you'll have to get the 2009 Wing (uses the NT-based software, which Garmin still supports).

I use the Zumo550 on my 2008 Wing as well as the NAVI. I use the Zumo for the detailed navigation (as it's touch-based), and I use the NAVI for the "big picture."

Welcome to the wonderful world of Honda product support. =)

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
As much as I wanted ABS on my new bike, the only way to get it was with the NAV option on my 09 Wing. Because of all the "bad press" I saw on the Honda Nav units I decided to go with the base model and mount my Garmin Nuvi 680 with a Ram Mount. The maps are upgradable and the unit works fine. Hope you get your issue resolved.
Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
103 Posts
As much as I wanted ABS on my new bike, the only way to get it was with the NAV option on my 09 Wing. Because of all the "bad press" I saw on the Honda Nav units I decided to go with the base model and mount my Garmin Nuvi 680 with a Ram Mount. The maps are upgradable and the unit works fine. Hope you get your issue resolved.
Ride safe and enjoy..
You would have been OK on the 2009 NAVI, it's supported by Garmin for software upgrades. It's the 2008s and earlier that are orphaned.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thanks Rich
I can get you the latest available maps for the 2008 Navigation system for about $75. This will get you the City Navigator 2009 maps which is the latest that is available for the 2008 Goldwing model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
... HOWDY ... FOR THE OLDER WINGS ... I HAVE A TOM-TOM 'ONE' THAT I MOUNT ON LOWER INSIDE WINDSHIELD W/ SUCTION CUP AND A LEASH TIDED TO IT FOR SAFETY ... POP OUT OF MOUNT PLUG INTO USB/COMPUTER AND DOWNLOAD ALL TOM-TOM UPDATES FOR FREE AND USE IT IN THE PICKUP ALSO ... HAPPY TRAILS P.S. I ALSO MADE A AUX. POWER PLUG FOR THE TOM-TOM AND MY IPOD ect. ...
Pep Boys has these units on sale Black Friday for $60 after rebate. Might be your best option with regard to overall cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
zumo

Rich:
I use the Zumo550 on my 2008 Wing as well as the NAVI. I use the Zumo for the detailed navigation (as it's touch-based), and I use the NAVI for the "big picture."
Sn0wghost,
Can you post a picture of how/where you have your Zumo mounted? I have the 550 too and like its detail and ease of navigation better than the built-in nav system. Having said that, the one thing I love about the built-in unit is the ability to overlay weather data on the maps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hope This Helps

Sn0wghost,
Can you post a picture of how/where you have your Zumo mounted? I have the 550 too and like its detail and ease of navigation better than the built-in nav system. Having said that, the one thing I love about the built-in unit is the ability to overlay weather data on the maps.
Mike:

I use a RAM mount on the clutch reservoir.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts