Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a 82 gl 1100 and thinking about buying it. Bike looks good starts right up and idles fine but on my first test ride i heard what could be described as a slight knock. I ask the owner about this and he said the Honda shop told him it was a "rumble from a valve common in the years 82-84". Anybody know if this is true or not? I like the bike but I'm not looking at dumping alot of money into it.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
'82 wings are 1100 which use screw and locknut for the valve adjustment, '84 - '87 wings are 1200 motors and have hyd. valve adjustment. both motors like to be at 2500 rpm or above and will produce a knock if lugged from being short shifted. syncing the carbs helps some but the keeping the rpm's up is key. test ride it again and shift at 3000 - 3500 rpm and see what happens

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
no its not an issue, test ride it again if you can and keep the rpms up in the powerband and you'll see. when i ride my 1200 around the city as long as the rpm are 2200 or more its in 4th gear just cruising around and i won't shift into od ( 5th ) until i can keep the rpm's above 2200 but if the rpm's drop below2200 i'll downshift so i don't lug the motor

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good point detdr, what lots of folks fail to realize is lugging an engine can be as bad or worse than over-reving. The stresses it puts in the internals and right through the valve train are totally different but equally as harmful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that I have noticed it won't make a sound below 3000 rpm.
Even sitting still in neutral and revving it up above 3000 rpm and it don't
Make a sound. But when riding it down the road it will start the knocking
Sound at the 3000 mark and goes away when the rpm drops below
3000 rpm. I'm stumped

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
It doesn't make the sound when sitting still?

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Does it change with road speed, or gear change?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope. It does stop when letting off the throttle. But comes in at that
Magical 3000 rpm mark.besides that Bike runs great.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Is there any way you can post a video with sound, so we can hear it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I could. It has stumped me. Only does at while on the road
Above 3000 and sounds like a knock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts