Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '85 GL1200LTD "fuel injected" that I bought about 2 months ago. I have been over it, did all the maintenance, rebuilt the brakes, did the final drive maintenance, oil, filters, belt change, and several other minor problems. It runs and rides great, but has one problem that is about to drive me crazy. First off, it has a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake system, which I have been unable to find. I know it is there, because when I spray carb cleaner in the area, the idle drops instantly. The other problem, which I think is actually part of the vacuum leak issue, is a really strange noise. It makes a high pitched er er er er er er er er noise when it is running. It is a very steady pulsing noise, and will do it even when the engine is just being turned by the starter, and not actually running. I would think a vacuum leak would make a steady sssssssss noise, but maybe not. I have replaced most of the vacuum lines on the intake system, but there may be something back in there I missed. Spark plugs are new and tight, compression is within spec for a new engine, and very close on all 4 cylinders. Anybody have any ideas? Bob.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was going to say vac hose, but, you covered that. I'm not that familiar with the LTD, except I know they have about 10 miles of vac hoses:eek: It wouldn't be hard to miss one. Is the air box lid on square...and seated? Have you changed the air filter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to say vac hose, but, you covered that. I'm not that familiar with the LTD, except I know they have about 10 miles of vac hoses:eek: It wouldn't be hard to miss one. Is the air box lid on square...and seated? Have you changed the air filter?
It has just over 10' of the really small vacuum hose, I believe it is 4mm, but I used 5/32". I've had the entire airbox off, plus the plenum cover the airbox attaches to. Everything fits properly. The filter is new. This sounds almost like a belt squeak, or something turning that is rubbing in a certain spot. I first thought it might be the belts or tensioners, but the belts are new, and the tensioners seem fine. I thought about the water pump for the noise, and haven't checked it yet. But then there is still a vacuum leak. The engine idles smoothly, so smoothly that the super sensitive digital tach holds steady. I would think a vacuum leak would create an erratic idle. I suppose the carb cleaner IS passing through the filter somehow, but where I am spraying the carb cleaner is down lower than the filter. The noise seems to be coming from both sides, but definitely is coming from on top of the engine somewhere. I also considered the reed valve air injection system, but I plugged that up, and it still makes the noise. If it is not coming from the intake, and is not the water pump, then it would almost have to be an internal engine noise. But I can't think of anything inside the engine that would make a rapid on-off-on squeaking noise. Thanks, Bob.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, great news, I think. I finally found the noise, and what I'm hoping is the vacuum leak. I went out after dark, with my 2 AA Maglite, so I could see better, started spraying carb cleaner with a straw at specific areas, until I found what seemed to be the worst. I reached back into that area, found a connection, pushed on it a bit, and the idle speed went way up. I pushed on it the other way, and the noise stopped. I'm hoping someone familiar with the old fuel injection might know what this is. I cannot find it on any diagram, though I may just be missing it. This is on the right side of the engine, though there may be one on the left side as well. It is back behind the fuel delivery pipe. It is a WHITE colored plastic elbow, which points toward the front of the bike, and there is a rubber hose that connects to it, which goes forward, then makes a bend, and goes across the front of the engine to the other side. I don't yet have the right side fairing lower off, so I can't see where it goes. I have to go back to work tomorrow, so it may be a few days before I can work on it again. Would definitely appreciate any information as to what this might be. Thanks, Bob

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
Maybe you could post a picture of the location.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts