Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed one of these aftermarket digital music players that are you supposed to be able to control through the CD player controls? Thought the idea of a CD player was OK; but to put the player in the trunk under my wife's extra baggage seems self-defeating. Also thought of an MP3 player in the left pocket with the outlet; but her phone charges there. And don't even mention it would be easier without the passenger...

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
Has anyone installed one of these aftermarket digital music players that are you supposed to be able to control through the CD player controls? Thought the idea of a CD player was OK; but to put the player in the trunk under my wife's extra baggage seems self-defeating. Also thought of an MP3 player in the left pocket with the outlet; but her phone charges there. And don't even mention it would be easier without the passenger...
Something like this one ? http://www.bikemp3.com/GL1800-Digital-Music-Player-V3-HGW-IPD-V03.htm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I believe that's it. And since you ID'd it so quickly you must have other thoughts on the subject - if you'd be so kind.

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
I have the J&M model that plugs in the same compartment as the CD player. I like it a lot and it has worked well for me. Mine is set up with 9 folders with up to 99 songs in each.

Looking at the link from our Virginia friend that one may have some advantages. The J7M model does not change automatically from folder to folder, I have to do that manually.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
Yes, I believe that's it. And since you ID'd it so quickly you must have other thoughts on the subject - if you'd be so kind.
Unfortunately for you and me, I have no other thoughts on it other than I thought about it. I currently hook up my " i-Pod " to the AUX cable. I have no control over what is playing. I'm slowly coming to this age.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Full review on the install, and usage of the unit.
http://www.ohiogwrra.org/pdf/newsletters/2011/jun2011.pdf
I got one last year, and it is the best or second best thing I bought for (get this) music sound, and SAFETY, yes safety, I used to have my MP3 player velcro strapped to my garmin mount, and it was really tricky trying to change the songs.

I LOVE the ability to change songs by just hitting the cd advance button on the handlebars.
Depending on what model GW you have you can have up to 9 separate folders, tot 99 songs apiece...
I started in Ohio and did not hear a repeat song, after driving all the way to Washington DC.
It even sounds better than using the AUX cord....
Do not get hte J&M model, get the best one from BikeMP3.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tunes, tunes, tunes

I installed a very similar unit on my 2010. It did not have the CD changer installed, but the kit allowed attachment and there is still room for some small items in that space under the trunk floor. This one was low-buck from China with so-so instructions but it has served the purpose. No random function, but I had to crank the volume on my MP3 player quite high to get decent volume from the headphones/fairing speakers and the battery was questionable towards the end of the day. Plus no control while riding. I arranged a variety of songs in each folder so I get a pseudo-random playlist. And if I don't like the song in my helmet or someone might find the occasional adult language from my speakers offensive, the next song is just a thumb push away. My cheap unit with Chinese instructions was not much cheaper than the link above so I say go for it if you haven't already. Although after listening to XM in a rental car for a work trip, I might check into activating that. It was expired on the bike when I got it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone installed an MP3 player who uses a Mac? I assume that you can load the SD card from a Mac as long as you format the card correctly, but it's always better to talk to someone who's actually DONE it.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts