Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to install a driver backrest on my 2006 Wing. A GW parts dealer suggested the Bakup--which is non-invasive, but it costs over $320+. A other few people have told me about the Utopia, it is half the price of the Backup & matches the OEM seat better. But you have to cut a slit into the seat to install it. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this??

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
" sr71 " has one that he installed. You can wait around for him to find you or find a post from him and send a private message. I believe " joe in calif " has it also.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We have a Utopia on our 93. It is a bit of a heart stopper when you cut into the seat but the instruction are good. If I recall right it come with templates to cut the seat and drill the holes in the pan.

The only other ones we had was a Markland on our 85 and the wife didn't like it to well because it forced her knees out.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
I had a Road Sofa custom seat that had the built in backrest on my 98 GL1500. I liked it a lot and never had a problem with it. I don't have any on my 09 GL1800 and I miss it. If/when I get one for the 1800 I would probably get the Utopia mainly because it is less intrusive on the passenger's legs. Everyone who has the Utopia seems to like them very much. You just have to get over the first cut into the seat. It's even more scary if you have a heated seat. If you don't want to make the cut, you could probably have a dealer do the deed for you. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Go for the Utopia. Yes, it is tough thinking about it. Cutting into the seat of a Wing is not a difficult thing to do. The Utopia has great instructions and watching the video at Steve Saunders site will help. By the way, Utopia also has a link to this on their site as well. I bought the extra removable bracket as well and the bride has no problem with it. My 1500 had a road sofa seat and backrest that she was never able to be comfortable with. You can do this install. Just follow the instructioms and be carefull cutting the foam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I appreciate all of your comments. More than likely, I'll probably go with the Utopia...just hope that once it is installed, the cut in the seat doesn't rip any further...(But I imagine the Utopia designer would have taken this into consideration---at least I hope so.)

sjncousin

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm one of the few that don't like the backrest. I like leaning against the wife. Plus my fat behind has to throw the leg over. Cant step through

·
Registered
25 Posts
I vote for a Utopia, this is my second goldwing with one and love it....

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I appreciate all of your comments. More than likely, I'll probably go with the Utopia...just hope that once it is installed, the cut in the seat doesn't rip any further...(But I imagine the Utopia designer would have taken this into consideration---at least I hope so.)

sjncousin
May you and I never repeat the lines of Marcus Antonius :".......
This was the most unkindest cut of all......." ~ Julius Caesar.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I want to install a driver backrest on my 2006 Wing. A GW parts dealer suggested the Bakup--which is non-invasive, but it costs over $320+. A other few people have told me about the Utopia, it is half the price of the Backup & matches the OEM seat better. But you have to cut a slit into the seat to install it. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this??

Thanks much!
i have a kury and the dealer installed it i like it and it has great support,also rotates forward for passenger ingress-egress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts